Airtable’s mission is to bring the power of computing and software development to everyone. One of the most rewarding parts of building a toolkit is seeing the incredible things your users create with it. We’ve seen our largest and most sophisticated customers use Airtable to run global processes across thousands of employees, coordinate precision manufacturing and 3D printing pipelines, and consolidate previously siloed mission-critical data into a single source of truth.
The flexible nature of Airtable’s product translates to many unique backend engineering challenges. We are building a relational database engine that supports real-time synchronization between different users, revision history, a powerful formulas engine, workflows and automations, snapshotting, and more. We are looking for talented backend engineers to help us evolve our database engine to meet our customers’ most critical needs around performance and scale.
In addition, Airtable’s infrastructure is also evolving to meet the needs of our fast growing engineering org. We are looking for backend engineers to help improve critical infrastructure for storage, cache, services, deployment and orchestration, with a focus on building systems that have a great developer experience and will scale as we grow.
Learn more about our Engineering team and values here.
What you'll do
- Design shared infrastructure components of Airtable’s shared infrastructure, optimizing for the developer experience, scaling, performance, reliability, and long-term maintainability
- Take responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core Airtable features end to end, for maximum customer and business impact
- Take full ownership of backend services, including responsibility for deploys, monitoring, debugging, and overall reliability
- Work at all levels of the stack with a concentration on the backend. Work with Node.JS, MySQL, and AWS services
Who you are
- You’re a backend engineering specialist or software engineering generalist with 1+ years of industry experience who is willing to learn new technologies and apply them in a fast changing environment
- You have experience in areas such as databases, distributed systems, service oriented architectures, and backend performance measurement and optimization
- You derive joy from refactoring and building clean abstractions in order to make complex systems fun to develop on and easy to understand
- You have a strong background in computer science with a degree in CS or a related field.
What we offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 80%)
- High deductible health plan available with health savings account contribution
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- Monthly “Lifestyle Wallet” to use for benefits like personal fitness (e.g., gym memberships, fitness equipment, etc.) to pet care to nutrition coaching, and more.
- Complimentary mental health support via Modern Health
- Family planning support via Carrot (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Flexible and generous time off and sick time benefits
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Annual Learning & Development wallet to support your career development
- Emergency backup care for dependents
- Access to financial planning and legal support
- Supplemental reimbursement for Gender Affirmation procedures and services
- Access to pre-tax Transportation & Commuter Benefits
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 300,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $11.7 billion and raised $735 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!