- San Francisco, CA
At Airtable, our mission is to democratize software creation. When groups of people are empowered by great software, they can accomplish incredible things together. But for many people, they don’t have access to perfect software: Off-the-shelf solutions aren’t customized to their unique workflows, and writing new software is expensive and time-consuming.
We’re working on a new way: Any person, no matter their technical ability, can create customized software to solve their exact, unique problems. We’re building towards a platform that everyone—from marketers to scientists to cattle ranchers to concert organizers—can use to build powerful, mission-critical software that accelerates their teams and businesses.
At the center of our vision is usability: Taking the most powerful concepts in software creation (database creation, control flow, user interface design) and making them usable for everyone in the world. We’re looking for Product Designers to contribute to this challenge from start to finish: understanding how people solve their problems through software, evolving our mental models to facilitate this problem solving, crafting intuitive and beautiful interactions that are a joy to use, and shipping features that impact our business metrics. If you like engaging with complex, powerful tools and forging simple, elegant solutions, we look forward to having you apply.
What you’ll do
- Immerse yourself in company strategy, user research, and data to understand our biggest opportunities for growth and platform evolution
- Partner with PM to build roadmaps, goals and success metrics focused on the most exciting and high-impact problems
- Deeply understand a complex problem space and find simple, powerful design solutions
- Generate your own ideas, and drive collaborative processes to elicit ideas from your teammates
- Explore those ideas via mockups, interactive prototypes, usability testing, and written documentation, ensuring that your team converges on the most promising solutions
- Think about the forest and the trees
- The forest: Build the systems, mental models, and architectures that lead our users to comprehension and mastery of the platform
- The trees: Craft intentional, polished flows and microinteractions that make the platform a delight to use for our customers, many of whom use Airtable for hours each day
- Work within our existing design system, and improve it when necessary
- Partner with engineering to understand the technical constraints of a project, and make pragmatic tradeoffs on your designs
- Craft your designs through every stage of the process: From exploratory concept through pixel-perfect, shipped UI
- Collaborate with our design team via regular design critiques and working sessions
Who you are
- You have previous experience as an in-house product designer. Bonus if you’ve worked on any subscription-based software.
- You have a portfolio showing your work, passions, process, and impact
- You like thinking about complex problems, and enjoy exploring the ambiguity inherent to defining a new product category
- You care about the details of your work, and love crafting pixel-perfect UI
- You like collaborating with other design-minded teammates in Product Management, Engineering, Data and User Research
- You like shipping, and are willing to make hard tradeoffs in order to get features in the hands of customers
- You like impact, seeing how your work makes peoples’ lives better and moves business metrics
- You’re a self-starter, who can proactively identify opportunities for impact even when they’re not assigned to you
- You enjoy collaboration and feedback, can give constructive and respectful critiques of others’ work, and can explain the reasoning behind your design decisions and opinions
- You’re comfortable in a high-growth startup, can balance many simultaneous projects, and thrive in fast-paced environments
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 200,000 organizations around the world. Our recent Series D funding round, which included Thrive Capital, Coatue, and Benchmark, doubled our total investment to more than $350 million. And we're just getting started.
Back to top