- San Francisco, CA
Airtable’s backend presents many unique challenges and opportunities for designing and architecting complex systems. Our purpose-built relational database engine supports realtime synchronization between different users, revision history, a type system, and an engine that supports formulas and dependencies/constraints.
As a backend engineer you'll contribute to the database engine and formula engine that power Airtable bases. Unlike single-purpose apps, we think of Airtable as a horizontal toolkit composed of intuitive building blocks that people can repurpose to create their own applications. Our product roadmap is filled with interesting enhancements and additions to this toolkit that greatly expand the boundaries of Airtable's capabilities.
What you'll do
- Architect and scale complex systems like our realtime database engine, revision history, and formula engine.
- Design core pieces of Airtable’s infrastructure, optimizing for long-term maintainability, performance, and reliability.
- Build and scale systems for monitoring, tracing, profiling, debugging, and deploying Airtable.
- Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core Airtable features, end-to-end.
Who you are
- You have experience in databases, distributed systems, and backend performance measurement and optimization.
- You derive joy from refactoring and abstracting in order to make complex systems fun to develop on and easy to understand.
- You have a strong background in computer science and mathematics.
What we offer
- Health care: we have you 100% covered (and your dependents 50% covered) with competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance. You'll also be eligible for a complimentary membership to One Medical Group
- Learning & Development: we offer a $2,000 per year stipend for your personal career development
- Gym Membership: we’re proud to provide employees in our San Francisco and New York offices with complimentary gym memberships to Equinox, or up to $100/month reimbursement towards any other gym
- Catered lunches: we have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens. We'll also reimburse you for any reasonable food expenses incurred while working
- Generous PTO, sick leave, and parental leave
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 200,000 organizations around the world. Our recent Series D funding round, which included Thrive Capital, Coatue, and Benchmark, doubled our total investment to more than $350 million. And we're just getting started.
Back to top