Tax Manager China
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 192 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
We are looking for a highly-driven Tax Manager, China to join our team in APAC. Based in Beijing and reporting to the Regional APAC Tax Lead (based in Singapore), the candidate will proactively partner with our China business leaders, Finance, Legal and Policy to anticipate and identify tax issues, recommend solutions, research and solve problems, and support go-to-market, and exercise good business judgment while performing these functions and working closely with our US and international tax teams.
As the first tax hire for China, there will be scope to grow and lead a China tax team as the business grows.
- Proactively partner with business partners (China leadership, Finance, Legal and Policy) to identify and resolve direct and indirect tax issues in China, build and strengthen relationships, and bring tax awareness to the China business
- Directly manage tax audits and interactions with the State Administration of Taxation, as well as other relevant tax and finance authorities. Prior experience negotiating and agreeing arrangements with authorities would be highly desired
- Review tax returns (direct and indirect) prepared by advisors and identify opportunities to minimize tax liabilities and provide tax input on local stat reporting
- Interface with the China finance and operational teams, as well as external tax advisors to review and lead the tax review of cross-functional projects related to China
- Perform research and analysis on business initiatives (including mergers & acquisitions), and maintain documented tax technical advice and update relevant stakeholders as appropriate
- Work with finance and accounting teams to implement and improve end-to-end tax process and procedures to mitigate risks
- Provide day-to-day operational guidance and timely address cross-functional finance and business team inquiries
- Some international and domestic travel expected
- 8+ years of direct and indirect tax experience with majority of time spent in a combination of public accounting firm and/or law firm, and fast-paced, US based multinational high-tech companies (platform / sharing economy experience preferred)
- Strong foundation of China tax technical knowledge with in-depth, practical experience evaluating and advising on China and international business initiatives
- Must be a self-starter, with the ability to operate independently and act as a strategic business advisor, while keeping the Regional APAC Tax Lead informed of local issues, while seeking input and collaborating where appropriate.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work
- Proven ability to think strategically while also engaging in day-to-day tactical details
- Proven ability to identify and manage tax and execution risks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, with cross functional teams, upper management, and outside consultants
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills with the ability to interact with all levels of management while at the same time able to work independently to resolve tax issues
- Role models Airbnb Core Values and brings enthusiasm and optimism to their work
- CPA / CA or LLM preferred
Back to top