Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 190 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
The Sous Chef will assist in overseeing the culinary operations of the Airbnb food program on a daily basis with professionalism, respect, efficiency, knowledge and awareness. Understand the philosophy of the program & chef, and adheres to all policies. Mentors junior level staff members. Upholds program standards for quality, cleanliness, safety & sanitation. Supports the Executive Chef in successful culinary operations: from menu conception to purchasing, receiving, prepping, cooking, execution of services, through to dishwashing. This dynamic role requires leading by example, delegation of tasks, following up, and actively coaching and managing staff.
● Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promotes the culture, values and mission of Airbnb and the Airbnb food program.
● Is expected to assist oversight of the food programs at budgeted COGs as it applies to food and labor costs
● Performs all aspects of position with efficiency, respect, friendliness, professionalism, teamwork, knowledge, patience, awareness, compassion, empathy, courtesy and initiative.
● Understand philosophy of management and company vision. Displays consistent attention to detail and follow through of all program policies. Embodies and promotes the company and program core values.
● Represents the management team professionally through effective communication, cooperation and relationships with all business partners.
● Collaborates with team to create a culture and work environment based upon respect; fosters opportunities for team to learn, grow and develop in their abilities.
● Leads and assists kitchen staff, ensures that food standards are on par with Airbnb, the food program & the Executive chef.
● Understand completely all programs, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs.
● Offer positive solutions to problems or issues and be a voice that is part of the decision making team.
● Menu Planning - plan healthful & delicious daily-changing themed menus using local, seasonal and sustainable ingredients in collaboration with the Executive Chef.
● Assists in managing productivity in kitchen prep and production, including but not limited to butchering, charcuterie, braises, stocks and marinades.
● Collaborates with all staff to ensure timely completion of mise en place production in compliance with program and Executive Chef standards.
● Assists in the management of all kitchen staff, including but not limited to: dishwashers, prep, line cooks, lead cooks, etc.
● Produce and update daily preparation and production sheets of high volume, from scratch recipes.
● Lead production shifts and meal services. Set pace and be available to direct, teach and answer questions. Problem solve any product, staff, and equipment limitations or changes.
● Test and develop house recipes and techniques. Document and train staff on preparation and service standards.
● Partner with service staff to ensure seamless teamwork and exceptional guest experience.
● Ensure that daily menus and signage is correct and effectively communicated to the company.
● Work with Executive Chef and Vendor Lead to identify new sourcing and supply opportunities to enhance and embody our programmatic goals.
● Ensure success of team by advocating for essential equipment needs/ repairs to the appropriate avenues (Executive Chef and/or Operations Manager)
HEALTH & SANITATION
● Servsafe Certified, full understanding of local health regulations, knowledge of haccp regulations
● Organize and maintain food storage, refrigeration and service spaces.
● Ensure proper labeling and product rotation (FIFO)
● Maintain and enforce health, safety, sanitation and food temperature requirements in accordance with local regulations and our own internal standards.
● Maintain and enforce proper cooking, cooling and storing of food in accordance with local regulations and our own internal standards.
● Exemplify and embody Airbnb core values along with our department’s values, mission and vision on a daily basis.
● Lead by example - demonstrate, train, repeat as necessary. Be a hands on manager.
● Teach, mentor and inspire staff to continually push to improve in daily performance, reach professional goals, and create a strong tight knit team
● Work closely with Front of the House managers to strategize the implementation of meaningful systems and maintain the culture and camaraderie of the entire team
● Effectively communicate standards and expectations to team members. Hold staff accountable.
● Hold staff accountable to behavior and performance expectations with support of management and Talent partners.
● Lead weekly meetings with direct reports to monitor performance and progress.
● Administer formal annual performance reviews and mid-year check ins.
● Acknowledge and reward high performers, exceptional actions and milestones within the team.
● Be introspective about management and how you can improve daily. Be open and responsive to food and team feedback.
● Maintain & develop training program(s) that are in line with the food program and its sub-departments
● Design menus with seasonality, availability & costs in mind.
● Ensure all products are ordered for proper forecasted consumption and received in correct unit, count and condition. Ensures deliveries are performed in accordance to airbnb receiving policies and procedures.
● Manage labor costs - write and manage an effective schedule, making sure to minimizing overtime & maximizing efficiency.
● Actively maintain lean budget - help control all food costs at or below budget.
● Conserve, repurpose, and re-direct food surpluses to ensure a zero waste operation.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
● 5+ years experience working in a professional kitchen environment
● 2+ years experience in a leadership/management/supervisory role
● Must have the stamina to work a minimum of 40 hours per week.
● Ability reach, bend and frequently lift over 50lbs.
● Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time in an active kitchen (minimum of 8hrs daily).
● Must be able to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbal and written.
● Must have flexible schedule and availability based upon business needs
● Excellent time management, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
● Must possess problem solving skills and the ability to adapt to change
● Diverse culinary background in culinary arts, technique, ingredient knowledge, and health/nutrition
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top