Software Engineer, Web Accessibility
What is Accessibility at Airbnb?
At Airbnb, we aim to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. Core to this mission is the accessibility of our product. This means that we should be consciously designing and building our product to support people with disabilities.
On the Accessibility team, you'll have the opportunity to have a huge impact on the Airbnb product and our users. We work with engineers and designers across the entire company to make designing and building inclusively easier. We're looking for a senior frontend engineer interested in supporting inclusion on our platform. Previous experience with accessibility is not required.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Frontend at Airbnb?
Frontend Engineers (FEs) are an essential part of our team. FEs work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. We rely (and build!) on cutting edge tooling and technology, such as Apollo/GraphQL and TypeScript. We build libraries and abstractions to make our lives easier, such as the Design Language System (DLS), our front-end toolkit, which helps ensure our product looks and works great everywhere from a Cinema Display with a fiber connection down to a cheap phone with a shaky 3G connection.
- Build accessibility into reusable UIs used across Airbnb's website
- Implement tools that help other Airbnb engineers build accessible UIs for the web
- Collaborating with engineers and designers to teach accessibility best practices
- through documentation, training, and consulting
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Identify and communicate front-end best practices
- 4+ years industry experience
- Interest in accessibility and desire to grow accessibility knowledge
- Passion for building and helping others build accessible UIs
- Demonstrated knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
Nice to haves
- Experience in the field of web accessibility
- Knowledge of assistive technologies, such as VoiceOver or JAWS
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 paid hours per month for community service)
Back to top