Software Engineer (Seattle)
Why are Software Engineers in Seattle important at Airbnb?
We recently kicked off a new initiative of distributed engineering teams at Airbnb. There is much more that we want to build and so much that we could improve. We value strong engineers who are agile enough to jump into projects across all areas of the stack: Frontend, Backend, Machine Learning, or Full Stack. Our second remote engineering office will be in Seattle.
Our team is a startup within a startup. We build applications for thousands of Airbnb employees around the world. We own everything related to operationalizing Airbnb to keep it running as a marketplace.
Inspiration starts from within: the same love and thought that goes into building customer facing product goes into our employee facing product. The team takes on the unique opportunity of interfacing directly with stakeholders around the company to build full stack applications with an array of technologies. In fact, our team codes with some of the newest and most diverse set of technologies within Airbnb from Node.js for real time chat and notifications, to Ruby on Rails for customer resolutions, to React.js for user tickets, to Elastic Search for full text user searching.
Our product feedback loop is immediate which means we can rapidly iterate and deploy. If you enjoy building full stack applications from the ground up, leveraging the newest technologies to delight users, and executing like an entrepreneur, then you’ve found the right place.
What are examples of work that Software Engineers have done at Airbnb?
- We own the application that hundreds of Customer Experience agents use to triage and solve issues at scale.
- Our payments platform transmits billions of dollars in dozens of different currencies among over 100 countries. By integrating new partners, we can both optimize our costs and grow our business by better supporting different countries.
- We re-built the List Your Space flow. We A/B tested every change carefully and within three months doubled the conversion rate.
- We created Neighborhoods, a product that answers the question of which parts of a city have desirable Airbnb listings for you. We built systems that allowed writers, translators, and photographers all over the world to collaborate on bringing cities to life. Read more.
- When Hurricane Sandy struck, we partnered with the City of New York to quickly create a platform for New Yorkers to provide free housing to those who were displaced by the storm.
The following are some examples of profiles that are relevant to us:
- Engineers with Frontend, Backend, Machine Learning, or Full Stack experience in a work-setting or classroom-setting. Minimum 1 year of industry experience in engineering.
- Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Engineers who have experience with web best practices such as A/B testing, test coverage
Seattle Engineering Positions:
- Frontend Engineers
- Backend Engineers
- We are responsible for the architecture, development and scaling of backend systems that power Airbnb. Our goals include scaling and architecting systems to support advanced product features that may not be currently viable because of hard technical considerations. System uptime and availability are a priority for the team.
- Machine Learning Engineers
- We own challenging data problems related to auto-detecting user issues, intelligent routing, real-time optimization across multiple contact channels, and more. We build machine learning infrastructure and models in collaboration with data scientists to build software that can solve problems better and faster than humans.
- Full Stack Engineers
- We operate at all levels of the stack: we’re responsible for the UIs that thousands of CX agents use daily, the APIs and vendor integrations to process tickets and channel communications, the reporting pipelines to ensure data integrity and allow teams to operate, and more.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top