Software Engineer, Pricing
About The Team
Airbnb is a new type of marketplace that is revolutionizing the way the world travels. Pricing is a huge lever for building an efficient two-sided market for both hosts and guests.
The Pricing Team's goal is to help hosts set prices that can achieve their bookings and earnings goals, while ensuring prices are attractive for the guests.
The uniqueness of each listing and travel dates makes pricing a challenging problem at a very large scale. To optimize prices, we need to build automated systems that can predict demand in the market by analyzing terabytes of data every day, design pricing algorithms to maximize chance of getting bookings, as well as create innovative ways to visualize all the information to our hosts. As an engineer on the team, you will help conceptualize and build these systems and algorithms.
What are examples of work that Pricing engineers have done at Airbnb?
- Our team builds powerful machine learning algorithms to be able to train models that can generalize across listings that are all unique. These models need to not only predict demand accurately but also predict how demand will change in response to changing prices.
- We design products to present mathematical information from the model to our hosts in intuitive ways, such as highlighting events, high season vs. low seasons, etc. and we build highly-dynamic client-side features so that hosts can customize their objectives and see how that affects pricing interactively. Read more here.
- We open sourced our in-house machine learning library Aerosolve. Aerosolve is based on Spark Scala, and focuses on making large scale machine learning easier for engineers.
Blog Posts from Our Team:
We are looking for engineers with:
- Comfort working in different parts of the stack
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Experience with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing
- Proficiency with Java/Scala/Ruby
- Bonus: Experience with Spark and/or other distributed data processing systems
- Bonus: Strong background in linear algebra and calculus
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top