Software Engineer, Native Infrastructure
Native Infrastructure Engineering at Airbnb:
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. Not only is mobile quickly becoming the preferred means to book travel, but mobile uniquely enables our hosts to be responsive and connects our guests to their surroundings. With over 100M million nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in scaling and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience.
We introduce architectural changes which enables our App to scale and grow without impact negatively on existing business metrics. We provide tooling which enable native developers to refactoring and update code to increase quality app wide. We create engineering-wide consistency in code and push for adoption of new technologies. And, most importantly, we execute large-scoped, site-wide projects. We are a native only team with large ambitions on improving Airbnb app.
We’re looking for strong engineers who are thoughtful, responsible and passionate individuals who appreciate infrastructure advancements. We’re looking for someone who is not only well versed in Native development, but also has a strong understanding of native architectural patterns and is excited to learn about and contribute to the client side.
Because of the unique form-factor of mobile, we put a particular emphasis on the user-experience design. Our apps have been featured in the app store, Google Play and at WWDC.
Our team is impactful and high-leverage: we make the entire engineering organization more productive. You will have visibility into every other engineering team and their systems, and you'll engage in helping and mentoring them.
Our team builds elegant tools to enable all developers at Airbnb to experience joy while quickly developing, testing, and shipping high-quality code.
Checkout our engineering blog: https://medium.com/airbnb-engineering/airbnb-engineering-infrastructure/home
What are examples of work that engineers on the team have shipped at Airbnb?
- Major React Native advancements to integrate the platform into Airbnb’s mobile infrastructure.
- Migration of iOS app to latest Swift version.
- Drive Accessibility improvements on Native Platforms.
- Entire app migration to RxGroups ( Airbnb framework for easily grouping RxJava Observables together and tie them to your Android Activity lifecycle).
- Significant App Performance improvement by introducing changes in app startup architecture.
- Introduction & adoption of MVRx ( a reactive state architecture built on ViewModels).
- Key advancements in Lottie( Airbnb library for after effects animations in real time).
What will you do on Native Infrastructure at airbnb?
- You will bring joy to ~200 native developers every day!
- You will collaborate with our customers (other Airbnb native developers) to understand their needs and ensure our team works on the right things.
- You will enhance our native development environment to improve developer happiness.
- You will create our next-generation app architecture changes to support Airbnb growth and evolution.
- You will write tools to provide periodic feedback on our overall app wide health.
- You will create our next-generation network layer for offline support.
- You will create infrastructure to advance native developers to seamlessly adopt languages (Swift\Kotlin)
- You will open source your work, describe it in blog posts, and talk about it at conferences
The following experience is relevant to us:
- You are passionate about developer happiness, app quality and efficiency!
- Experience shipping one or more iOS/Android apps, ideally currently available on App Store/Google Play.
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for engineering and product sense.
- Ability to work in areas outside of their usual comfort zone and get things done quickly.
- Strong motivation to drive impact by making infrastructure improvements.
- Strong analytical thinking, experienced with making decisions based on data and A/B testing.
- Proactiveness, good communication and fast learning.
- Interest in working in a very cross-functional team that touches many of the core systems and user flows at Airbnb.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in engineering
- Experience leading large projects
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 paid hours per month for community service)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top