Software Engineer, Mobile Tools
Mobile Build Tools Engineering at Airbnb
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. Not only is mobile quickly becoming the preferred means to book travel, but mobile uniquely enables our hosts to be responsive and connects our guests to their surroundings. With over 100M million nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in scaling and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience.
Our team builds tools to enable mobile developers at Airbnb to experience joy while quickly developing, testing, and shipping high-quality code. The team is impactful and very high-leverage. We make the engineering organization more productive. As part of Developer Infrastructure, you will have visibility into every other engineering team and their systems, and you'll engage in helping and mentoring them.
Checkout our engineering blog: https://medium.com/airbnb-engineering
What will you do?
- Bring joy to ~200 mobile developers every day
- Collaborate with our customers (other Airbnb developers) to understand their needs and ensure the team works on the right things
- Create, manage, and scale our continuous integration infrastructure, which consists of both cloud (AWS) and on premise resources
- Improve performance and reliability of local build tooling by building systems to share build resources across our infrastructure (both compute and storage)
- Create tools to improve the mobile release management process
- Support an increasingly complex continuous integration system to improve usability, performance and reliability without negatively impacting developer productivity
- Create infrastructure for end-to-end integration tests
- Have the opportunity to open source your work, describe it in blog posts, and present it at conferences
What has the team done in the past?
- Used Facebook’s Buck build system to improve iOS and Android build performance
- Created and open sourced a platform for creating fast, deterministic UI tests for the Android platform
- Created tooling to automate the mobile release process
- We added support for mixed-language iOS development (ObjectiveC & Swift) to Facebook’s Buck
- You are passionate about automation, efficiency, and developer happiness!
Nice to haves
- You have 4+ years of full-time, industry experience
- You have experience working with mobile (iOS or Android)
- You love build tools (Gradle, Maven, sbt, Grunt, Gulp, Bazel, Buck, Xcode)
- You are enthused by test-automation (e.g., the testing pyramid, UI feature specs)
- You are familiar with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Back to top