Software Engineer, Machine Learning, Experiences
Airbnb Experiences launched in November 2016 with the goal of taking Airbnb from an accommodations business to an end to end travel platform. By expanding Airbnb’s product offerings and making it easy to plan an entire trip in a single space, our goal is to make Airbnb the only travel platform our guests need for their travels. The Experiences team plays a crucial role in realizing this mission.
Experiences are handcrafted activities designed and led by local hosts. Hosts give travelers unique, unprecedented access and deep insights to places and passions in their city. Experiences makes travel magical again by immersing travelers in communities around the world and making it easy to travel authentically.
We have already seen growth, but we are still very early in our journey. We are looking for collaborative and entrepreneurial engineers to set an early foundation for the Experiences team. If you are passionate about redefining travel, then this team is for you.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
You’ll have the opportunity to work on challenging data problems, including:
- Large scale Machine Learning infrastructure that powers our Search ranking, personalization models, similar experiences and more.
- Natural language processing to understand text content on Airbnb Experiences, including reviews, descriptions, etc.
- Multi-label classification of Experiences to knowledge graph taxonomy nodes.
- Computer vision to understand our image and video content, including host photos, host videos, guest reviews, guest photos, and more and etc.
- 5+ years of industry experience or a PhD + relevant industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Ability to write high performance production quality code.
- Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems
- Good understanding of common families of models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning issues, such as overfitting
Preferred but not required:
- Experience in Java, Python, Hive and other equivalent languages is a plus.
- Experience with any of the following:
- Search Ranking and/or Search Infrastructure
- User personalization
- Natural language processing techniques
- Knowledge graph construction and categorization
- MapReduce, Spark, and Hive
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Back to top