Software Engineer, Intern (Seattle)
At Airbnb, we use technology to create human connection all around the world. Our engineering teams see big challenges as opportunities to craft beautiful and scalable solutions that inspire technical innovation both in our company and across the tech and travel industries as a whole. As an engineering intern at Airbnb, you’ll be an integral part of our team where you will face our company’s most ambitious goals. We’ll provide the support, mentorship, fun, and real world experience needed to accelerate your learning and make a real impact on our product; you will write and ship projects to develop new features on our platform from scratch, strengthen our infrastructure, and delight our community of guests and hosts.
The Seattle team is a startup within a startup. We build applications for thousands of Airbnb employees around the world and own everything related to operationalizing Airbnb to keep it running as a marketplace.
Inspiration starts from within: the same love and thought that goes into building customer facing product goes into our employee facing product. The team takes on the unique opportunity of interfacing directly with stakeholders around the company to build full stack applications with an array of technologies. In fact, our team codes with some of the newest and most diverse set of technologies within Airbnb from Node.js for real time chat and notifications, to Ruby on Rails for customer resolutions, to React.js for user tickets, to Elastic Search for full text user searching.
Our product feedback loop is immediate which means we can rapidly iterate and deploy. If you enjoy building full stack applications from the ground up, leveraging the newest technologies to delight users, and executing like an entrepreneur, then you’ve found the right place.
What are examples of work that Software Engineering Interns have done while working with Airbnb's Seattle teams?
- We've worked on revamping our Resolution Center, and created features that allows guest and hosts to send or request money for trip related issues.
- We lowered time-to-first-response by an agent by 64%.
- We've remodeled Airbnb’s chat agent interface and rewrote it as an entirely frontend tool.
- We've developed features which allow agents to resolve tickets and issue reimbursement coupons in real time.
- We've created the administrative panel, an integrated tool for Customer experience agents that mediates resolution cases and issues payments.
- Some of the technologies and languages we've used in our work include: React, Alt, CSS, API V2, and Monorail stack
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Strong CS fundamentals gained through current pursuit of Bachelor’s, Master's, or PhD degree in computer science, math or related discipline
- Experience using Java, Scala, Ruby and/or Ruby on Rails
- Experience using C++, and SQL for the backend (project dependent)
There are lots of benefits to interning at Airbnb! Some of our interns’ favorites include:
- Competitive pay, a generous housing bonus, and Paid Time Off
- Quarterly employee travel coupons so you can explore Airbnb’s incredible listings
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner inspired by the local cuisine of listings from around the world
- Company-sponsored tech talks and social events
- Much more...
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top