Software Engineer, Cities
Cities Engineering at Airbnb
Hosts on Airbnb provide hospitality and belonging by sharing their homes in over 34,000 cities around the world. The travel and economic opportunities enabled by Airbnb support the way people want to live, earn money, and see the world in the 21st century. As our community grows, we work with local governments to craft progressive, fair rules for home sharing.
As part of the Cities engineering team you will be responsible for designing and building robust and customizable products that help ensure our community makes cities better places to live, work, and visit. Because what works in Portugal might not work in Philadelphia, you find the right abstractions and architect systems that let us address nuanced concerns yet scale to thousands of cities worldwide. Ultimately your work supports the home sharing movement and partnerships with cities around the world, keeping Airbnb a trusted community.
The team is relatively new and growing quickly. There are still many unanswered questions and we're looking for talented engineers with a knack for solving complex and nuanced problems in innovative ways to help shape how we partner with cities worldwide.
Projects we work on include:
- A registration platform that lets hosts apply for permits with their local government through Airbnb, and making that really easy to use, including a secure city-facing API to submit registration submissions to local governments.
- Building products like our One Host, One Home provisions in Portland, New York and San Francisco.
- Good-neighbor products that build trust between hosts and their neighbors.
- Allowing hosts who rent to enter agreements with their landlords through Airbnb.
Relevant experience might include:
- Full stack or back-end engineering experience, with strong systems fundamentals
- Experience with service oriented architecture
- Strong industry experience in architecture and development of scalable production quality backend systems.
- Ability to work in a highly cross-functional team that touches many of the core systems and user flows at Airbnb.
- Exceptional proficiency with modern front-end engineering using React/Redux
- Experience in civic tech and familiarity with technology in local government is a plus.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top