Software Engineer, Business Travel
Business Travel at Airbnb:
Last year, there were over 490 million business trips taken by US business travelers alone. Here at Airbnb we're exploring how we can leverage our community to make business travel experiences comfortable, practical, and local. There are specific business travel needs such as accommodation for larger groups, longer stays, relocations, meeting spaces, and more. About 10 percent of Airbnb’s customers travel for business already and we want to develop products based on their feedback to enable even more business trips. Stakeholders in our ecosystem include business travelers, travel managers, third party bookers, travel management companies, relocation companies, and our hosts. This is a unique opportunity to build an entirely new user base, and to touch code that affects all flows of Airbnb's core experience.
We are one of the newest teams at Airbnb looking for product focused engineers that can help build our foundation and infrastructure. The Business Travel team partners closely with the Business Development team by taking feedback from many companies (small, medium, and large) to develop simple tools for business travelers to plan business trips and manage expenses on the road. If you enjoy building full stack applications from the ground up, iterating on technologies and ideas to delight users, thinking creatively about solving problems, and doing more with less, then you’ve found the right place.
What are examples of work that Business Travel engineers have done at Airbnb?
- We’ve built a self-serve business travel management portal for companies to sign up and provide their employees with access to centralized billing and simple expensing.
- We launched the business travel ready program to help business travelers find listings that offer them business amenities which fit their needs. Hosts also appreciate getting more bookings that are often midweek and during slow seasons to complement leisure stays.
- We’ve developed a scalable invoicing system that allows companies to make monthly payments for their employees’ trips.
- We’ve built an Elasticsearch service that enables us in various parts of the product to search for employees, companies, and business reservations.
- We launched third party booking that allows companies’ bookers to search, book, and pay for trips on behalf of others. This was a large product effort which required us to make fundamental changes to the core booking flow as well as to the messaging, booking, and payment data models.
- Engineers on the team own applications full stack by building entirely underlying data storage all the way to frontend experiences.
The following are some examples of profiles that are relevant to us:
- Exceptional ability to work anywhere in the technical stack, delivering quality code both on the frontend and backend.
- Fluency in any backend server language, and expertise in relational databases and schema design.
- Ability to leverage and integrate with third party APIs.
- Advanced analytical thinking; experienced with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing.
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application.
- Interest in working in a very cross-functional team that touches many of the core systems and user flows at Airbnb.
Back to top