Software Engineer, Application Infrastructure
About the team
Application Infrastructure team is responsible for the architecture, development and scaling of core backend systems that power Airbnb. Our goals include scaling and architecting systems to support advanced product features that may not be currently viable because of hard technical considerations. We’re a small, but effective team with a track record of highly impactful work for Airbnb and our community. Our current roadmap includes:
- Building out a new generation indexing system for Search and other backend systems that require real time up-to-date and consistent mirroring and aggregation of data from diverse sources (listing information, ranking models, etc.)
- Rearchitecting the Pricing service to efficiently calculate prices for hundreds of thousands of listings with very low latencies using complex pricing rules.
- Rebuilding calendaring to support advanced scheduling rules and allow our Hosts to express their goals and preferences in the most flexible way, while maintaining low latency for high throughput applications like Search.
- A new service to aggregate and serve information for in-session personalization for every Airbnb user.
- Scoring of search results with advanced Machine Learning models having millions of ranking features. Making such advanced models practical while coping with the growth of Airbnb inventory across the world.
- Demand prediction service to detect spikes in demand for different types of accommodations in all Airbnb markets and to power supply acquisition initiatives, as well as surfacing that data to existing hosts to increase their efficiency.
- Social Connections service to efficiently calculate second degree connections across a variety of dimensions to increase the level of trust and improve personalization.
We are looking for engineers with:
- Strong industry experience in architecture and development of scalable production quality backend systems.
- Our backend technology is mostly Java based, so having prior background in writing high performance Java code is beneficial, but not required (a big part of the team comes from C++ background).
- Good understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing and associated trade-offs.
- In-depth Lucene expertise is a plus.
- Strong CS fundamentals, rigor in engineering.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top