Senior Staff Experience Designer
- San Francisco, CA
The Airbnb Experiences team is growing, and we’re looking for an experienced Sr. Staff Experience Designer to set the vision for our new categories of experiences.
Founded in 2008, Airbnb is a global travel community that offers magical end-to-end trips, including where you stay, what you do, and the people you meet. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions, and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace offers access to millions of places to stay in more than 191 countries, from apartments and villas to castles, treehouses, and B&Bs. With Experiences, people can see a different side of a destination through unique, handcrafted activities run by locals. All of this is brought together in one easy-to-use and beautifully designed website and app.
Experiences can be Airbnb’s second cultural phenomenon and completely reinvent how travelers experience cities and destinations. Across travel, entertainment, and education, we believe the opportunity has the potential to be bigger than our Homes business. Airbnb Experiences could even grow into the go-to place for people to find fun activities and events locally.
Long-term, Experiences could drive the next wave of mass entertainment. In the next couple of years, many big companies will start Experiences divisions. We have the opportunity to become *THE* platform for experiences; the place every individual and every brand wants to host their online and offline experience. We are in a position where we can design many new categories of Experiences. Every possible passion can have an accompanying experience. Experiences can provide a halo-effect for Airbnb. We can create an impactful people-powered narrative for the company: live your best life by making money hosting your passion.
In April 2020, Airbnb launched our new Online Experiences business and in just a matter of weeks we already have 300+ Hosts sharing their passions with Guests around the world. This is just the beginning.
Airbnb is looking for a commercial and strategic senior leader to expand and evolve our Online Experiences business globally. This person will understand the priceless nature of the new passion economy and can translate it through a dynamic online marketplace management strategy and execution.
This Sr. Staff Experience Designer, Experiences is based in San Francisco and will be the steward for Airbnb Design for the Experiences online and offline business. The position will provide Design direction for Experiences, work with a cross-functional leadership team and support any new creative opportunities that may arise as the business scales.
- Define + launch new online and offline categories for Airbnb Experiences around the world
- Define the visual system, tools and communication style for each of these unique categories, from concerts to kid-friendly
- Design systems to help attract quality hosts + guests within these offerings
- Create, test and iterate category specific features + tools in the user flow and help integrate it into the main Experiences ecosystem
- Create a strategy for awareness and comprehension, including landing pages, promotional surfaces, cross education within Airbnb and other surface areas
- Inspire a team of of top UX designers to do their best work with an eye on quality
- Provide leadership and mentorship for a team of Experience Designers through the interaction and visual design of products and services from end-to-end, globally and across all platforms
- Partner with the Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, Researchers and Content Strategists to define problems & goals, map user flows, prototype interactions, and launch new products and services
- Excellent visual and interaction skills —a master in their field
- Systems-thinker with the ability to think beyond the pixels and design for offline experiences
- Experience with marketing and making complex services easily digestible for your audience
- Defines the design process and can lead others through it. Can accurately scope their work as well as their teammate's. Responsible for the work of other designers on their project. Can effortlessly motivate and drive small to medium teams to transform a product.
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills
- Demonstrated ability to help a team navigate ambiguity, set vision and strategy for global products
Back to top