Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About the role:
In this role, you will define mobile technical strategy across Airbnb’s product engineering organizations and drive priorities such as creating zero-to-one new products, re-architecting our mobile app and unlocking industry-leading native performance. As a senior technical individual contributor, you will partner closely with our CTO of Homes and senior leaders across the broader technical organization. Although you will be at one of our highest levels of seniority, all individual contributors at Airbnb are Software Engineers which means we expect you to be hands on and contribute code.
Homes at Airbnb:
Whenever anyone thinks of Airbnb, the first thing that comes to mind is Homes. Homes is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Guest and Host experience to launching new initiatives from the ground up. Within Homes engineering, you will have a significant impact on a wide range of Airbnb products and users. If you are motivated by how much visibility your work has, how much it impacts the company's bottom line, how many users see your work, or how it will impact your career growth, Homes is the place for you. Some key teams and areas within Homes include:
- Guest Store: The Guest Store team is responsible for the end-to-end guest journey on Airbnb. We build product experiences such as the online booking flow and we lead strategic initiatives that unlock new audiences and drive increased loyalty. We are building the storefront to community-powered travel while making it fun to plan, and easy to book on Airbnb.
- Core Host: Core Hosts are the heart and soul of Airbnb and our truest differentiator. Hosts are our brand and enable amazing travel experiences for our guests. They are ordinary people who had the courage to share their primary and secondary homes with complete strangers across the world. We strive to create a world where millions of ordinary people have access to economic opportunities and a supportive, global community through hosting.
- Airbnb for Work (A4W): There are a number of unique attributes Airbnb can bring to today’s workforce. To help professional communities foster engagement, growth, and belonging, we’re currently focusing on four core areas: team building, relocations, travel, and offsite meetings.
- Airbnb Plus: Plus offers guests a new tier of high-quality homes that go well beyond basic standards to provide an extra layer of confidence and care. For guests who seek mid-scale and upscale accommodations, these homes are an upleveled experience, verified for elevated comfort, quality, and hospitality.
- Market Dynamics: The MDX team optimizes tradeoffs between guests, hosts, and the marketplace to help Homes achieve its goals. The team owns user-facing products that exhibit such tradeoffs (pricing, cancellations, and fees) and partners with other Homes teams to utilize a shared understanding of market dynamics across Homes.
- Homes Platform: This team builds the foundation and tools for the Homes business. We bring a platform mindset by solving hard, high-leverage problems at scale, enabling the product verticals to focus on the success of our business.
What you would do:
- Re-architect and build the next-gen of our mobile experience for millions of hosts and guests
- Design & drive new integrations across other teams within Airbnb
- Influence and collaborate with engineering leaders, product managers, and the business to develop a unified approach to Mobile engineering at Airbnb
- Understand how key technical decisions will drive business outcomes
- Provide technical leadership, establish and evangelize best engineering practices across the organization and company; advise and mentor engineers
What we are looking for:
- 10+ years relevant experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Technical leadership: hands on experience leading project teams and setting technical direction and strategy
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Examples of working across teams and organizations on technical initiatives.
- Experience with improving mobile architecture (strategically) and developer tooling/libraries (tactically) of a high traffic app
- Extensive Java/Kotlin experience for Android OR Swift/Objective-C experience for iOS
- Shipped apps to millions of users in the past