Senior Staff Engineer, Backend - Hosting
- San Francisco, CA
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Hosting at Airbnb:
When Airbnb first started, we introduced the world to Hosting. Hosting is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Host experience to launching new product verticals from the ground up. The Hosting team aims to inspire and empower people around the world to live richer lives by Hosting on Airbnb. Hosting means many things here at Airbnb. We support Hosts who offer individual Homes, Experiences, multiple Homes, and Hotels on the platform. Within Hosting engineering you can have a significant impact on a wide range of Airbnb products and users. If you are energized by having your work gain high visibility to millions of users and drive impact for the company's bottom line, Hosting is a great place to launch and amplify your Airbnb career.
Some key teams and areas within Hosting include:
- Core Host: Core Hosts are the heart and soul of Airbnb and our truest differentiator. Hosts are our brand and enable amazing travel experiences for our guests. They are ordinary people who had the courage to share their primary and secondary homes with complete strangers across the world. We strive to create a world where millions of ordinary people have access to economic opportunities and a supportive, global community through hosting.
- ProHost: We partner with businesses to create the future of hospitality. Our vision is that anyone with a passion for providing magical hospitality can build and grow a successful business on Airbnb.
- Hosting Platform: This team builds the foundation and tools for the Hosting business. We bring a platform mindset by solving hard, high-leverage problems at scale, enabling the product verticals to focus on the success of our business.
- Market Dynamics: The MDX team optimizes tradeoffs between guests, hosts, and the marketplace to help Hosting achieve its goals. The team owns user-facing products that exhibit such tradeoffs (pricing, cancellations, and fees) and partners with other Hosting teams to utilize a shared understanding of market dynamics across Hosting.
What you will do:
As a senior technical individual contributor, you will partner closely with our CTO of Hosting and senior leaders across the broader technical organization. Although you will be at one of our highest levels of seniority, all individual contributors at Airbnb are Software Engineers which means we expect you to be hands on and contribute code.
- Define overall technical architecture for major parts of the Hosting business
- Architect large scale reliable systems to support continuous growth of the business
- Influence the organization, engineering leaders, product managers, and the business to develop a unified approach to Hosting overall architecture
- Implement significant portions of the system and help others in the implementation
- Understand how key technical decisions will drive business outcomes
- Advise/mentor other engineers at Airbnb
What we are looking for:
- 10-15+ years relevant experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Experience building, leading, and architecting large systems at enterprise scale with a great impact (e.g. including well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- Technical leadership: hands on experience leading project teams and setting technical direction and strategy
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Examples of working across teams and organizations on technical initiatives.
Back to top