Senior Manager, Insurance Operations
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 190 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Under the direction of the Head Of Insurance Solutions & Products, this role will lead the development of the company's captive insurance operating strategy and will assist in driving competitive advantages through market positioning and the company's current and future protection product offerings.
The ideal candidate must have a healthy dissatisfaction for the status quo and a strategic eye for the future landscape of the insurance industry. We are seeking a disruptor, a builder, a connector, and a true leader, with both the ability to recognize the flawed structure of today's insurance model, and a hunger to replace it with effective and efficient solutions that can enable our hosts & guests to be entrepreneurs.
The ideal candidate must have proven experience in building and running a captive insurance company and corporate risk financing programs, including an ability to demonstrate both the technical background and leadership skills to build and oversee a team of subject matter experts.
The ideal candidate will be expected to hire a high quality team, build out the insurance infrastructure, build partnerships with (re) insurers, TPA’s , brokers, etc., as well as possess a strong aptitude for marketing and underwriting strategy.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Management responsibility for captive risk, underwriting, and partner management
- Leads product development, implementation, and maintenance of insurance programs, standards, and procedures for all aspects of the company's captive products
- Oversees external captive manager and vendors
- Develops and executes plans for captive products, both internal and community-facing
- Develops pricing and underwriting policies and practices with support from the Company's actuarial and data analytics resources
- Develops competitive advantages through market positioning, rate development, and coverage comparisons among competitors.
- Strategically analyzes key performance indicators, market data, competitor activity, and market trends utilizing quantitative and qualitative analysis with support from the company's Finance, IT, Marketing & Actuarial staff
- Drives guidance and process improvement as well as development of administrative policies in support of captive products.
- Evaluates and institutes cost-effective risk financing programs including negotiation and purchase of all property and casualty insurance and surety bonds.
- Supervise claims administration for all liability and property damage claims and in cooperation with Legal Dept. and Trust & Safety teams
- Work collaboratively with insurance brokers, carriers and project teams to ensure overall compliance with the Company's Risk Management goals, policies, and procedures
- Work with Accounting Manager to coordinate Third Party Claims Administration relationships
- Prepare risk management and insurance budgets
- Coordinate all risk and insurance related audits
- Provide for the establishment and maintenance of records including insurance policies, claim, and loss experience
- Assist in risk management due diligence on potential acquisitions and divestitures
- Identification of new opportunities for lowering the total cost of risk
- Initiate and direct risk management related programs that strategically support the company's mission and goals
- Articulate complex concepts and issues through oral and written communications, and consult with senior management in establishing corporate policies and procedures to manage and control corporate risksCoordinates with internal tax/accounting partners
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA preferred
- 10 years of self-funding experience and a comprehensive understanding of underwriting property & casualty coverage
- Stop loss underwriting experience
- Experience with captive insurance arrangements
- Leadership experience with an ability to manage growth and think strategically
- Consultative skill with an ability to assess unique customer needs and be able to creatively develop innovative and practical programs and solutions
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication as well as interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to influence organization performance
- Proficient and developing financial plans and long-range goals and objectives
- Able to collaborate at the company's senior leadership level to gain divergent opinion alignment
- Exhibit professional behavior that exemplifies the company's cultural image of creativity and innovation
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with management and staff to further the company's mission
Back to top