Senior Forecast Scientist, FP&A (Homes)
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 190 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Airbnb is a global platform with a wide network of guests and hosts that interact in a two-sided hospitality marketplace. We are looking for a data scientist who can analyze supply and demand interactions and apply statistical methods to forecast the growth implications of interventions and product changes. While primarily a data science role, the ideal candidate will also have experience in engineering and strategic business consulting. This entrepreneurial role blends the technical savvy to work with complex datasets and the business acumen to transform those data into actionable insights. The role sits in the Finance organization and is primarily aligned to Airbnb's core Homes business.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain Airbnb’s advanced statistical growth model, identifying and analyzing historical drivers of performance.
- Increase our understanding of the business to improve the accuracy of our growth forecast.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Product, Engineering, and Finance to develop their understanding of the forecast and incorporate requirements.
- Communicate performance metrics, explaining the business reasons for variance from the forecast and adjusting models to reflect operational and strategic changes.
- Help maintain a set of metrics and dimensions that are relevant to our business partners and accurately reflect financial performance.
- Bachelor’s degree with the equivalent of a statistics minor; advanced degree in a quantitative field is a plus
- 3+ years’ industry experience in data science, analytics, quantitative finance, economic consulting, or similar role
- Significant experience working with databases, including writing SQL queries. Exposure to Hadoop, Hive, and similar technologies is a plus.
- Strong experience writing production code in R or Python; other programming languages are a plus.
- Significant experience with common statistical models such as generalized linear models; exposure to random effects models and generalized additive models is a plus.
- Familiarity with Bayesian inference, including hierarchical models and variational Bayes.
- Exposure to frameworks like PyMc3 and Tensorflow is a plus.
- Experience cleaning data, resolving data quality issues and communicating their impact to stakeholders. Experience building ETL pipelines is a plus.
- Strong communication/presentation skills with track record of presenting complex analyses to executives/ senior management clearly and concisely.
Back to top