Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About Messaging Platform at Airbnb:
Our team is responsible for powering all of messaging across the company. Billions of messages are sent between different participants with different needs such as guests, hosts and support agents, every year. We bring guests and hosts together with every booking and interaction that happens on Airbnb and therefore, It is our mission to ensure, on one hand, our systems are scalable, resilient and robust, and on the other, enable our partner teams to develop new meaningful capabilities that will reduce communication overhead and cost while improving the user experience.
About the role:
We are looking for experienced Android engineers to help us build a delightful experience in every stage of the guest journey. You will have the unique career opportunity to work across multiple agile product teams and make a significant impact on our guest community around the world.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with Product Managers, Experience Designers and Backend Engineers to design and deliver high-quality products on Android
- Building efficient and reusable mobile components and architecting reliable, performant, and scalable mobile solutions
- Following data-driven approaches to conduct experiments and iterate features
- Identifying areas of improvement and drive mobile best practices
Sample projects include:
- Developing a best-in-class messaging platform on Android
- Adding brand new capabilities that dramatically improve communications such as Auto-Translate, automated responses etc
- Working closely with product teams and understanding their requirements from the platform and enabling them to execute
- Identifying opportunities, proposing and delivering solutions to improve various aspects of the platform, such as: app performance, partner team enablement, developer scalability etc
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience shipping one or more Kotlin or Java Android apps, ideally currently available in the Play Store
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence and product sense
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Understanding of basic data structures and asynchronous programming
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry