Regional Counsel, Canada
Regional Counsel, Canada
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where people can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team that is committed to our core values to achieve this goal.
Airbnb’s Legal team embodies the company’s innovative, forward-thinking spirit. At the frontier of the new sharing economy, Airbnb is breaking new ground in matters of policy, law, and government relations. Where some see obstacles, we see opportunity to find creative, practical solutions, right at the cutting edge. Our adventurous, fast-moving group of 70 is committed to building a team of talented, collaborative and self-motivated legal professionals across the globe who believe in Airbnb’s mission and don’t take themselves too seriously.
We are looking for a Canadian-qualified attorney to join our team as our first lawyer on the ground in Canada. The Regional Counsel, Canada position will be responsible as point attorney for all legal issues in Canada and will provide advice and assistance on a breadth of complex legal and regulatory matters, including those related to our Canada-based subsidiary Luxury Retreats. Qualified candidates will have deep expertise in the following areas: Canadian policy and political compliance, Internet/e-commerce regulation, data protection, and consumer legal issues. Experience with litigation, commercial contracts and transactions, employment law, intellectual property, payments, compliance, product counseling, and/or general corporate law is highly beneficial. This role will be located in our Toronto or Montreal office. Travel will be required.
Candidates should be execution-oriented, have not just solid legal and policy backgrounds but strong business acumen, superior analytical, writing, and negotiation skills, and be enthusiastic, well organized, and team focused. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, and a good sense of humor are all essential. Background should demonstrate a strong attention to detail and experience in a role involving access to highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Be hands on as the lead of Airbnb’s Canada legal function while also acting as an effective “legal conduit” to coordinate and foster collaboration between the Canada team and other members of the legal team globally.
- Advise/coordinate advice on all legal issues relating to Airbnb’s activities in Canada, covering both Canada-specific issues and overseeing global legal issues as they relate to Airbnb’s activities in Canada.
- Review and advise on legal aspects of legislative and policy matters across Canada and work closely with Airbnb’s policy and public affairs group to navigate novel regulatory, consumer protection, privacy, and other issues.
- Communicate and coordinate with the other members of the Legal team globally on regulatory, legislative, policy and other legal issues.
- Oversee a wide array of commercial, regulatory, product, employment, litigation and other matters that arise in the Canada business.
- Actively champion Airbnb’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring that the Company’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws and regulations, and reinforce Airbnb’s values.
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer
- Canadian Bar admission
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience
- Significant experience dealing with elected officials, legislation, and policy matters
- Demonstrated ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice and to properly balance risks and business reward
- Ability to craft legal solutions in novel ways is essential
- Highly motivated, efficient, and organized; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, both collaborating as a team and working independently
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining collaborative and open-minded approach
- Passion for travel, home sharing and deep appreciation for Airbnb community
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, and desire to get things done.
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top