Public Policy Manager(Internet)
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 190 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
It is our mission to work closely with politicians, regulators, and legislators across China about Airbnb and the “sharing economy”, highlight the significant social and economic impact our business has on towns, cities and provinces, and showcase best practices from around the world. We want policy makers to understand the regulatory challenges that affect our host community and find solutions that are good for China and our thriving local community across the country.
We are now looking for a Public Policy (Public Affair/Government Relations) expert to join Beijing office to help develop and implement Airbnb’s legislative and public policy activities across Public Security, Legal and Justice and Law Enforcement Department.
To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and talk to a variety of authorities, from city to prefectural to national government to help them understand the contribution that our community makes, and engage them in the process of creating fair legal and regulatory frameworks that embrace the potential of the sharing economy.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and the sharing economy, and have proven experience in managing regulatory and political issues within a corporate context - either as an in-house policy professional or as a consultant - or within politics, campaigns or advocacy groups. Experience in a startup e-commerce or other high-growth, fast-paced company would be an advantage.
While the position will be based in Beijing, this role will require regular travel throughout China - and beyond.
- Develop and execute a stakeholder engagement strategy including developing and maintaining relationships with Public Security/Law enforcement/Legislative sector associations, allied groups and coalition partners.
- Help develop and implement Airbnb’s legislative and public policy activities including helping determine advocacy priorities, positions, and strategies.
- Develop and execute a national government relation’s strategy, including building and maintaining an extensive network of contacts in local, prefectural and national legislative, executive and administrative offices.
- Work with legislative bodies and government agencies on Airbnb’s priority issues, including crafting and negotiating language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative regulations, and authoring substantive issue briefs and position papers.
- Represent Airbnb in coalitions and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives – building these coalitions from scratch if necessary.
- Represent Airbnb in meetings with government and elected officials, and at external speaking engagements, public policy forums and other public facing opportunities
- Advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges.
- Significant (8 years+) experience working with policy issues in a relevant business, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage).
- Direct policy experience in one of the following fields: Public Security, Legislation, landlord/tenant law or e-commerce/internet regulation
- An interest in the sharing economy and an understanding of legal policy work
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field
- Legal and Law Enforcement background is preferred
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organisational skills.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment
- Self starter with a sense of humour and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment.
- Excellent writing skills
- Fluency in both Chinese and English is required
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top