Public Policy Development Manager, APAC
**This role will start as a contract position for 1 year.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 191 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
The APAC public policy team advocates on behalf of Airbnb’s community with governments, regulators and a wide range of other external stakeholders. We are involved in direct negotiations with governments; strategic partnerships with government agencies and NGOs; major events and projects; research and data analysis, and grassroots community organising.
We are looking for a Public Policy Development Manager based in Singapore. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and the sharing economy, and have proven experience in managing regulatory issues within a corporate context - either as an in-house policy professional or as a consultant. Experience in a startup e-commerce or other high-growth, fast-paced company would be an advantage.
- Work with local Policy Campaign Managers to support development and implementation of Airbnb’s legislative and public policy activities in throughout the Asia Pacific (APAC) region.
- Help craft and negotiate language for legislation, draft comments on administrative regulations, and author substantive issue briefs, position papers and reports.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges.
- Advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies.
- At least 7+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage).
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field.
- Direct policy experience, preferably in one of the following fields: tourism, land use, housing, landlord/tenant law, tax law or e-commerce/internet regulation.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills; ability resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative and timely manner and gather/analyze information skillfully
- Ability to navigate complex internal organization, with the skills to confidently negotiate issues
- Ability to manage and prioritize several competing projects or tasks
- Acute attention to detail; very organized
- Ability to be flexible, responsive, take initiative, and close the loop on all communications and projects
- Proven track record of effective project management; meeting deadlines under pressure
- Ability to influence people and manage effectively in ambiguity with little input or direction
- Strong interpersonal skills to create easy working relationship with internal team, as well as external constituents and partners
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Self starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment.
- Ability to work long hours and adapt quickly to adverse situations
- Willingness to travel as needed
- Ability to work cross-culturally
- Additional language skills, particularly Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean are beneficial
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top