Prototype Manufacturing Manager
Samara is a design studio at Airbnb exploring the future of human connection, building products and services that bring us closer to each other and with ourselves. We work closely with Airbnb, but operate more experimentally with the intention to push cultural and technological boundaries.
The Prototype Manufacturing Manager will grow a cross-disciplinary team building precise and high-quality prototypes that pave the way for successful and reliable products. Your team will work closely with others, including product designers and mechanical, electrical, and hardware engineers.
Experience and Prototyping
- Oversee the operation of a prototyping lab to ensure that it meets all project requirements and operates safely and efficiently
- Source high-quality prototyping materials and external fabrication services
- Oversee and support mechanical testing
- Stay up to date on developments and trends in the manufacturing industry and bring innovative solutions back to the lab
Execution and People Leadership
- Lead and grow a prototype manufacturing team team comprised of manufacturing engineers, machinists, technicians, and sourcing specialists
- Set project goals, timelines, and deliverables for the team and keep everyone on-track
- Support engineering, design, and other product teams by helping them through the manufacturing processes for their work
- 4+ years of experience managing Manufacturing Facilities, Prototyping Labs etc.
- 6+ years or experience in manufacturing industry.
- Deep understanding of high and low volume manufacturing processes – Injection molding, casting, sheet metal forming, CNC machining, laser cutting, waterjet cutting, plasma cutting, CNC turning and 3D printing etc.
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) experience.
- Proficiency in Engineering CAD Software – Solidworks, Siemens NX or similar.
- Attention to detail – We’re designing highly intricate systems, so precision and accuracy are vital for the environment.
- BS in Manufacturing, Mechanical engineering or other relevant engineering field.
- Network of fabricators and manufacturing professionals in the Bay Area and beyond
- Experience with mechanical testing – Hardness testing, tensile testing, impact testing, fatigue testing etc.
Back to top