Product Manager - Risk
As a leader in the sharing economy, Airbnb is on the cutting edge of Trust & Safety. Our hosts are opening their homes to travelers from around the world, and our Trust and Safety team works to build a foundation of trust in our community that makes it all possible.
The Trust & Safety team takes on unique challenges that are both online and offline. We must be vigilant of online marketplace risks while also facilitating experiences happening offline in over 34,000 cities in 190 countries. Our team must deter, detect, and defuse potential bad actors that attempt to take advantage of Airbnb and its users.
We balance a fine line of introducing sufficient friction while providing a great user experience. We build fraud detection and machine learning algorithms & services, user-facing challenges & flows, internal operations tools, and much more (most of which cannot be divulged here). If you enjoy working with massive data sets and constantly evolving problems, then you’ve found the right place.
Questions we love to think about:
- How can we incentivize our guests to behave well when staying in hosts’ homes?
- How can we proactively detect bad actors before they harm Airbnb or its users?
- How should we effectively convey reputation within the Airbnb community?
- How do risks evolve over time between the online and offline worlds?
What you'll be doing:
- Working with a team of engineers, data scientists, designers, and operations team focused on proactively keeping our users safe
- Balance that careful line between just enough friction while providing a great user experience
- Crafting a vision for risk mitigation and continually driving toward it
- Holistically own projects, taking them from inception to launch to monitoring/evaluation
- Conducting experiments to understand the impact of our risk mitigation efforts
- Delivering the present while building for the future
You already have:
- Experience leading the vision for several products, working directly with engineers to make it happen
- Risk industry experience (financial fraud, account integrity, user generated content)
- Strong interpersonal skills: able to push back, ask questions, challenge others while creating lasting partnerships
- Understanding of machine learning, SQL, Hive, and other analytics toolsets
- Experience running database queries and digging through requests logs
- Strong technical competence to weigh in system design & technical tradeoff decisions
- Ability to prioritise highest impact projects
We'd also love it if you have:
- Experience and comfort working in a fast paced, changing needs, limited resources environment
- Understanding and experience with machine learning
- Traveled as a guest or a current host on Airbnb
Back to top