Product Manager, Privacy
Product Manager, Privacy
Airbnb is a vision and mission driven company. Our Product Managers embody this culture and mindset. Product Managers here imagine the ideal end state for our community (guests and hosts) first and work backwards from it, challenging all current assumptions. They champion a winning strategy and leverage metrics to ensure we are making progress against it. They partner with talented cross-functional team members (across engineering, design, data science, etc.) and lead teams to execute upon a shared vision. They are incredibly hands on and are not afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the right outcome for our community. We are looking for leaders who want to join us in this journey to accomplish our mission of creating belonging everywhere.
On any given night, 2 million people stay in homes on Airbnb in 100,000 cities all over the world. There are more than 6 million listings in 191 countries to choose from —that’s more than the top five hotel chains combined.
What makes all of that possible? Trust.
Creating a world where anyone can truly belong requires a foundation of trust grounded in responsible business practices and consistent expectations of host and guest behavior. The Trust team is responsible for defining our policies and standards and ensuring implementation through communication, product features, workflows and tools, and taking actions when users violate our policies and community standards.
Our team consists of engineers, data scientists, designers, policy experts and product managers that work with stakeholders across the company to ensure we have the right policies, feedback loops, product features, and tools.
A fundamental part of earning trust means being clear about how we use personal information and protect our community’s human right to privacy. Airbnb focuses on making sure that personal data is used to benefit users by powering their experiences and keeping them safe, empowering our users to have control over their privacy through transparency and control, and implementing strong security measures to protect the personal data that is entrusted to us.
About the Role
The Privacy Product Manager is a crucial role that will partner closely with the Chief Privacy Officer, business stakeholders, and the privacy engineering, legal and operations teams, to ensure privacy is appropriately built into the user experience - which includes informing the Airbnb community of the steps we take to protect their privacy and empowering them to have control over personal data collection and use.
If you are the type of person who feels a personal stake in everything that you work on, has a strong sense of ownership, has a love for data, enjoys solving complex problems, has a passion for privacy, knows how to foster strong relationships and build trust, and works for the success of the entire team - then we look forward to meeting you!
As the Product Manager, Privacy, you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Deeply understanding the need, and opportunity, for privacy features and capabilities and how they can be applied intelligently within Airbnb and for the Airbnb community
- Drive product vision, strategy, technical requirements and end results for privacy
- Keep up with cutting-edge privacy innovations, technologies, and techniques that can potentially be applied to Airbnb
- Define and drive technical product scope and prioritization and be flexible to iterate/change per latest developments to meet agreed upon deadlines and business needs
- Maintain product backlog, drive product roadmap and own prioritization process for privacy based on customer impact and business value
- Define the success metrics and SLAs by partnering with other cross functional leaders in Trust, the Businesses and Community Support while keeping the metrics up to date and relevant
- Evaluate new product opportunities (both buy and build solutions) and bring forward proposals and influence to expand product and business capabilities with data and intelligent automation at the forefront
- Work closely with all business, ops, and product stakeholders to ensure successful end-to-end delivery of privacy products
- Work closely and collaboratively with Trust operations and engineering teams to ensure reliable privacy operations and SLAs are met or exceeded
- Present overall product roadmap status to leadership on an ongoing basis
- 10+ years experience in Product, Technical Program or Project Management, or similar role leading a cross-functional technical team
- BA/BS degree is required. Concentration in Computer Science or a related technical discipline is preferred
- 3+ years of technical product management
- Strong interest in the privacy domain; IAPP privacy certification preferred
- Exceptional collaboration, partnership and influencing skills with the ability to work in a global environment across multiple locations and time zones to drive consensus and deliver results in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to interface well with technical, operations and business partners at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to translate policy and business requirements and work with various levels of business stakeholders to create innovative scalable solutions
- Outstanding written and verbal communication ability to a diverse stakeholder audience, including a global team of C-level executives, product, and technical stakeholders
- Strong customer engagement and relationship management skills
- More than comfortable in an ambiguous matrixed organization
- Strategic platform and system thinker who can balance big picture strategy with detailed, flawless execution
- Creativity and ability to work independently with limited guidance with proven ability to create structures and develop operational concepts
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to perform under pressure to meet deadlines
- Experience developing roadmaps and long-term data-driven strategies for improving operations, data platform efficiencies - all without sacrificing quality
- Self-sufficient in analyzing and drawing conclusions about the quality and product opportunity from raw and refined product data
- Self-motivated and proactive, with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Innate capability to, directly and indirectly, lead cross-functional teams through success
- Strong technical project/product management experience in large scale systems, Linux/server operating systems, databases, cloud computing, big data, networking, and bonus points for past programming experience.
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.
Back to top