Product Lead - Frontend Platform
About the Team:
Frontend Platform Team. The Frontend Platform team creates building blocks powering the features and user interfaces of Airbnb sites and apps. Our mission is to make development as easy and fast as possible, without compromising quality.
The team owns common components that help other teams build experiences for hosts and guests of Airbnb, they build leverage for employees to be successful, and own some shared products like messaging that span across all of Airbnb. This work creates economies of scale for our product development team, primarily focused on the 600+ engineers and 60+ designers. Those teams have diverse needs and priorities spread across the core accommodations business, experiences business, and specific initiatives in Asia.
Every improvement that the Frontend Platform team makes empowers other developers to have bigger impact. The 3 major focus areas for the group are:
- Client Platform
- Delivers common infrastructure for client developers, inclusive of native development platform, and frontend web development platform.
- Interface Platform
- Delivers common infrastructure for interface developers, built for design unification. They own our central design language system, our accessibility efforts, and our internationalization efforts.
- Shared Products
- Delivers common interface products which are consumed by end-users of Airbnb or internally by employees. Things like messaging, navigation, terms of service, and media improvements.
This is a Product Lead role that includes the responsibility to manage, mentor, and coach a small team of three Product Managers immediately. The product work spans a full team of roughly 60 people, with 10 designers, 40 engineers, one data scientist, three Product Managers, and the small team of design tooling employees. The Product Managers are responsible for curating a vision, setting goals, and executing on initiatives across that group. This role reports to James Mayfield, who is the Product Lead, Infrastructure. You will will help set a vision for how our frontend platform works at Airbnb.
- Manage a small team of Product Managers, responsible for performance management, mentorship, coaching, and career planning
- Curate a vision for frontend platform group; executing on that vision
- Provide input and guidance upward that improves the structure, goals, and outcomes across all 300 employees in the broader Infrastructure organization
- Capture use cases from our customers, who are set of engineers and designers with diverse problem spaces and workflows
- Dogfood tools and processes in order to empathize with engineering and design customers
- Understand the software development lifecycle and owning the product lifecycle for tools and platforms developed by the team
- Establishing outcome driven initiatives
- Create roadmaps to achieve team and subteam visions
- Drive cross-team collaboration, project planning, and delivery on initiatives
- Data-informed thinking to measure and quantify impact on a regular basis
- 5+ Years managing a team of of Product Managers
- Experience working with front-end engineering, ideally both web and mobile
- Experience building internal, infrastructure products from the ground up
- Experience shipping consumer facing products
- Solid UX aptitude; conversational in both visual and interaction design
- Strong communication skills used to build consensus, alignment, and relationships with diplomacy across teams with different goals, functions, and initiatives.
- Track record working very closely with designers and engineers on a breadth of projects
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top