Policy Associate, Japan
No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big.
We are looking for a Public Policy Associate for Japan based in Tokyo. It is our mission to work closely with politicians, regulators, and legislators across Japan to educate them about Airbnb and the “sharing economy”, highlight the significant social and economic impact our business has on towns, regions and cities, and showcase best practices from around the world. We want policy makers to understand the regulatory challenges that affect our host community and find solutions that are good for our thriving local communities.
To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and talk to a variety of authorities to help them understand the contribution that our community makes, and engage them in the process of creating fair legal and regulatory frameworks that embrace the potential of the sharing economy.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and the sharing economy, and have proven experience in managing regulatory and political issues within a corporate context - either as an in-house policy professional or as a consultant - or within politics, campaigns or advocacy groups. Experience in a startup e-commerce or other high-growth, fast-paced company would be an advantage.
- Help develop and implement Airbnb’s legislative and public policy activities; including helping determine advocacy priorities, positions, and strategies.
- Work with legislative bodies and government agencies on Airbnb’s priority issues, including crafting and negotiating language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative regulations, and authoring substantive issue briefs and position papers.
- Represent Airbnb in coalitions and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives – building these coalitions from scratch if necessary.
- Manage consultants and marshall external resources to execute our plans.
- Maintain relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local, regional and national legislative, executive and administrative offices, as well as with allied groups and coalition partners.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges.
- Represent Airbnb in meetings with government and elected officials.
- Advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies.
- At least 5 years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organisation, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage).
- Direct policy experience, preferably in one of the following fields: tourism, housing, landlord/tenant law, tax law or e-commerce/internet regulation – which must include a track record of influencing regulation and legislation at some level of local government.
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organisational skills.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest calibre work product in a timely manner.
- Self starter with a sense of humour and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment.
Back to top