Policy Associate - Argentina
Public Policy Associate - Argentina (Fixed-Term Role)
No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big.
We are looking for an experienced Public Policy Associate to join our team in Argentina. It is our mission to work closely with politicians, regulators, and legislators to educate them about Airbnb and the “sharing economy”, highlight the significant social and economic impact our business has on towns, regions and cities, and showcase best practices from around the world. We want policy makers to understand the regulatory challenges that affect our host community and find solutions that are good for our thriving local communities.
To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and talk to a variety of authorities, from city to regional to national governments, to help them understand the contribution that our community makes, and engage them in the process of creating fair legal and regulatory frameworks that embrace the potential of the sharing economy.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and the sharing economy, and have proven experience in managing regulatory and political issues within a corporate context - either as an in-house policy professional or as a consultant - or within politics, campaigns or advocacy groups. Experience in a startup e-commerce or other high-growth, fast-paced company would be an advantage.
This position will be based in Buenos Aires, under a fixed-term contract. It reports to the Regional Public Policy Manager for Spanish Speaking Latin America.
- Help implement Airbnb’s legislative and public policy activities; including helping determine advocacy priorities, positions, and strategies;
- Represent Airbnb in coalitions and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives – building these coalitions from scratch if necessary.
- Manage consultants and marshall external resources to execute our plans.
- Maintain relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local, regional and national legislative, executive and administrative offices, as well as with allied groups and coalition partners.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges.
- Develop external facing documents, such as observations to legislative proposals or industry position papers in very short windows of time.
- Represent Airbnb in meetings with government and elected officials, as well as industry associations.
- Advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies.
- At least 5 years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage).
- Direct policy experience, preferably in one of the following fields: tourism, housing, landlord/tenant law, tax law or e-commerce/internet regulation – which must include a track record of influencing regulation and legislation at some level of government in Argentina.
- Regional experience (particularly in Colombia) is an advantage.
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Proficient writing of policy papers and legislative proposals.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest caliber work product in a timely manner.
- Self-starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast-moving and sometimes stressful environment.
- Proficiency in the use of online collaboration and productivity tools.
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English and Spanish is essential.
- Willingness to travel frequently through Argentina and South America.
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top