Network Engineering Manager
Role & Responsibilities
Airbnb’s mission is to enable anyone to belong anywhere. We want people to feel at home, in a welcoming community, whenever they’re away from their actual home. We strive for a similar approach throughout our offices as well. A majority of our meeting rooms are modeled after actual Airbnb listings from around the world giving each one a unique, individualized, yet home-like feel.
The IT Network Engineering team, part of our BizTech organization, is responsible for the design, vendor selection, and deployment of global network solutions consisting of enterprise wide design standards across; the global backbone, co-location facilities, internet connectivity, partner sites, regional branch offices, employee & call center voice services, video conferencing & collaboration services.
The Network Engineering Manager role will be responsible for establishing and managing a robust engineering team focused on developing innovative network, voice, video and collaboration designs that deliver quality scalable solutions and improve the user experience.
We’re seeking a technical leader with a wealth of knowledge, experience, and vision to guide our Network Engineering team and be a valued member of the Corporate Infrastructure leadership team.
A successful candidate must have strong technical and leadership qualities and a track record of success performing a similar role in a fast paced environment. The candidate must be a strong communicator with the ability to develop strategic forward looking plans, while balancing the day to day tactical escalations associated with running a global infrastructure.
- Manage & guide global team distributed across different countries and timezones
- Influence future strategic service direction contributing to yearly plans, roadmap, and budget.
- Build design standards, documentation, automated delivery, training for Operational teams, delivery handover processes, support plans, and escalation on-call support.
- Drive a standards based design methodology across the infrastructure delivering solid, robust and resilient documented designs following best practices, addressing disaster recovery, full test compliance cycles and ensure all as-built deployments meet design specs
- Design, deploy, and manage global network solutions that span multiple international locations.
- Drive a pervasive security model across the IT infrastructure and natively embed security capabilities within all service and technology solutions.
- Vendor Management - own and maintain relationships with major product manufacturers and service providers, understand vendor capability and placement, drive QBR content/direction, influence vendor services, guide contract negotiations, develop product roadmap and capability direction.
- Prioritize, allocate, and resource projects together with delivery team during quarterly priority planning process and adjust continually throughout the year.
- Documentation - Champion quality detailed documentation throughout the entire project delivery life-cycle. Develop standard design, deployment, and operational support documentation (as-built & runbooks) to help train and enable operations to support all existing and new infrastructure deployments.
- Automation - Encourage scalable technology solutions by embracing automation to enable the organization to easily deploy and operate new infrastructure features, capabilities, and functionality.
- Operational Readiness - Your services are built to operate, and you encourage Engineers to bring Operations team members along on the journey by training and educating them to efficiently and effectively support new solutions deployed in the production environment.
- Provide Tier-3 technical escalation support and assistance during major service impacting outages/incidents plus act as Airbnb point of escalation for any major infrastructure incidents.
- Own root cause analysis, contribute to post mortem review, and develop long term fix action plans for incidents.
- Capacity Management - Drive capacity planning model and decision making around future provider upgrade plans and contract negotiations.
- Manage project technology expectations with team members and cross-functional stakeholders.
- Partner with IT & business leadership teams to understand needs and challenges, share technical roadmaps that plans to enhance current and future service offerings.
- Grow the team and plan future hires based upon service / skill gaps.
- Be a mentor, coach & leader to engineers in the team through continual feedback and teaching best practices so they grow into the next generation of technical experts and reach their career goals.
- Develop global support framework and maintain on-call schedules
- 10-15 years developing solutions and leading technology teams responsible for developing global solutions across networking, telephony, video, unified communications & collaboration
- Strong background in network or voice engineering with previous experience as a team guide and technical engineering manager
- Demonstrated delivery of global enterprise network infrastructure, Cisco office WAN/LAN/Wifi products, office meeting room VC using Cisco UC, voice SIP solutions, Palo Alto firewall, VPN solutions, and infrastructure monitoring services.
- Strong technical leadership, teamwork, global collaboration, decision making and communication skills.
- Experience with vendor management, contract negotiation and RFP process.
- Familiar with Cisco UC, VoIP Infrastructure systems, Call Manager, telephony, +E.164 dial plans, voice codes, managing SIP services and video/voice monitoring principles
- Understanding of Cisco routing/switching, Palo Alto firewalls, and Cisco/VMware Data Center products.
- Experience with global voice network solutions for contact centers a plus.
- On-call rotation and international / domestic travel will be required.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Business, or equivalent experience.
- Airbnb Stock
- $2000USD yearly employee travel coupon
- Competitive salaries
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- 401K with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Commuter Subsidies
- An Incredible fun place to work every day!
Back to top