Network Engineer (Network Operations)
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 192 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Airbnb is growing rapidly and we are on the lookout for high energy employees for building and expanding the Network Operations team. As a Network Engineer at Airbnb, you will be working with the global IT Experience team solving complex, time sensitive issues in our production environment. You will be the conduit between many business and technology facing teams and will help shape and improve the operability of our systems and services. Your passion for understanding, reverse engineering and analyzing technical systems will directly impact how effectively IT services operate.
Please note: To apply, you must have proven industry experience greater than 5 years. Applicants who are considered mid to senior level in experience are desired.
Role & Responsibilities
- Take personal responsibility for the quality, reliability and availability of global IT network infrastructure.
- Maintain day-to-day operations and documentation of global IT production infrastructure, including secure local and wide area networks and all other IT services 24/7.
- Participate in rotating on-call incident response on the weekdays and on the weekends.
- Develop and improve instrumentation for monitoring the health and availability of services.
- Proactively monitor systems, networks, and applications to provide input in improving the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of systems.
- Improve operational efficiencies via scripting, bots and integrations.
- Participate cross functionally with vendors and other IT engineering teams to ensure smooth project delivery.
- Network troubleshooting, fault analysis, repair, and upgrade.
- In-depth experience deploying, maintaining, monitoring, and logging network devices.
- Must have strong automation/scripting skills - proficiency in python or ruby is a plus
- Experience developing and maintaining technical documentation, runbooks, and procedures
- Fundamental knowledge of TCP/IP stack, application protocols (DHCP/DNS/HTTPs) and networking concepts (HSRP/NAT/VPN/VLANs/802.1x/Wireless/Clustering/High Availability/Load Balancing)
- Proficiency with enterprise networks using Cisco IOS/NXOS with a working knowledge of IP Protocols (TCP/UDP/ICMP) and Routing Protocols (BGP/OSPF/IS-IS)
- Proficiency with enterprise networks using Palo Alto Firewalls, including Firewall Policy Rules, URL-Filtering, App-ID, User-ID, etc.
- Experience working in an environment with Voice and Video over IP, and a basic understanding of QoS and SIP.
- Experience interacting with Telco and Global ISPs (WAN/DIA)
- A strong ownership attitude and a track record of taking responsibility for problems and pushing through to resolution
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or EE, or relevant industry experience is required
Nice to Have
- Ability to take lead in an operations environment
- Knowledge of revision control software such as GIT
- Cisco Network Certification (CCNP/CCIE R&S/UC) / Palo Alto Networks Certification (PCNSE)
- Experience with Cisco Unified Communications in a clustered environment (CUCM, CUBE voice gateways, SIP/H323, voice routing)
- Familiarity with REST APIs scripting, i.e. with PAN OS API / Infoblox WAPI
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Amy W.Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top