Mechanical Engineer (Contract)
Samara is a design studio at Airbnb exploring new attitudes towards sharing and trust through hardware and software. This role is responsible for shaping the engineering of a product within Samara. Learn more about Samara here: samara.airbnb.com
We’re looking for someone who approaches complex problems from first principles. You will create and build original products that challenge stereotypes and preconceptions. That’s how Airbnb started in the first place and we intend to keep that philosophy alive in every project that we take on.
Your work will involve all development phases:
- Conceptual design of parts and elements.
- CAD design and modelling.
- Software simulation and analysis of structural and mechanical qualities of parts.
- Prototype fabrication.
- Prototype testing.
- Controlling fabrication of the final product.
Design for manufacturing will be a very important aspect of your work. It has to be included in the design process from the very beginning.
We believe there is a strong correlation between the amount of prototyping and the quality of the product, so you have to be ready to prototype a lot.
Who you are:
- Knowledgeable and Experienced. You are an experienced Mechanical or Structural Engineer with a robust portfolio of projects. Experience in the aerospace or automotive industry is a huge bonus.
- Full Stack. You are not a single-specialty expert and are ready to go beyond your school degree.
- Software. You know your software well. CAD simulation and analysis software knowledge is a must.
- Fabrication. You’re skilled in digital fabrication. You’re very familiar with 3D printing, CNC milling, laser cutting and waterjetting.
- Materials. There will be a lot of material research involved with this project. You have to be experienced and ready to work with various non-traditional materials, like composites and polymers.
- Creativity. Of course, this is a common buzzword, but you have to be ready to explore non-traditional methods, as we do that a lot.
- Education. BS in Mechanical, Structural or other relevant Engineering field. MS is preferred.
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top