Machine Learning Expert
Airbnb & Airbnb China
Airbnb is the world’s biggest community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique places to stay while traveling. Founded in Silicon Valley, Airbnb is one of the fastest growing startups in history, and a signature success of the sharing economy.
China’s tourism industry is currently experiencing unprecedented growth, and it is the key to Airbnb’s future success. Like a startup within a startup, Airbnb China is tasked with the exciting responsibility of bringing Chinese people into the Airbnb community.
What We Do and our Eng Culture
At Airbnb China, we aim to reinvent Airbnb’s global product by tailoring it to local needs.
We build completely new products from scratch that make cultural sense to our Chinese users, as well as rethink and improve upon pre-existing experiences.
At Airbnb, engineers own their impact end-to-end. Our engineers are expected to contribute to the road map, run product experiments, drive data analysis, and come up with next steps from the learnings. Our processes are set up to help us quickly understand what our users need.
About the Position
As a Machine Learning engineer, by joining Airbnb China at its early stage, you’ll have the unique opportunity grow fast, shape the future of our product, and work with one of the most talented engineering teams in the world. You’ll have the opportunity to work on challenging data problems, including:
- Large scale Machine Learning infrastructure that powers our Search ranking models
- Clustering of users and listings to enable more intelligent matching.
- Natural Language Processing to understand text content on Airbnb platform, including reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace.
- Identifying suspicious transactions and malicious users for Trust and Safety.
- Determining the optimal pricing strategies to help our Hosts effectively manage their listings and achieve their revenue goals.
- Modeling demand and supply situation in real time to optimize the overall market efficiency and give valuable insights to the Hosts.
We are looking for engineers with:
- 7+ years of industry experience or a PhD + 3 years industry experience
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high performance production quality code. Experience in Java, C++, Python, Scala and other equivalent languages is a plus.
- Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems.
- Good understanding of common families of models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning issues, such as overfitting.
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark and Hive is a plus.
- Competitive salary and US stock
- Paid Time Off (15 days a year), Birthday leave, etc.
- Bootcamp at our headquarters in San Francisco
- Business travels opportunities to San Francisco and other offices around the world
- Employee travel coupon so you can explore Airbnb’s incredible listings
- World standard Comprehensive Life Medical plan, and Travel insurance
- Apple equipments
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner inspired by cuisine from around the world
- Regular team activities, happy-hours, off-sites, Hackathons, etc.
- Company-sponsored tech talks, social events
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top