Search Relevance Engineer
About the Position
Airbnb’s Search Ranking team is the engine of Airbnb’s core product. Airbnb is a two-sided marketplace consisting of hosts and guests who have their own sets of preferences for traveling or hosting on our platform. Our mission is to match these preferences; to feel like a personal concierge for our guests by guiding them to find the perfect listing for a trip and understand the wants and needs of our hosts to ensure an amazing experience.
If you’re a Machine Learning engineer interested in helping millions of Airbnb guests and hosts connect around the world, this is the team for you.
Challenges we're excited about tackling in 2016:
- Analyzing and modeling Airbnb’s complex Search to Booking flow.
- Improving the core machine learning models used for Ranking by creating, analyzing and re-designing features.
- Personalizing search results to each guest.
- Understanding city and neighborhood data, and re-imagining how location data is used in the search and ranking process.
- Scaling machine learning infrastructure that powers the search experience, and making it more reliable.
- Understanding our inventory by deriving meaningful information from unstructured data such as reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace.
We are looking for engineers with:
- 5+ years of industry experience or a PhD + 2 years of industry experience
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high performance production quality code. Experience in Java, C++, Python, Scala and other equivalent languages is a plus.
- Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems.
- Good understanding of common families of models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning issues, such as overfitting.
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark and Hive a plus.
Learn more about some of the projects we’ve worked on:
- Tech Talk: Search @ Airbnb
- Wired article on Search Discovery
- OpenAir Tech Talk: Traditional vs. Marketplace Search
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Back to top