Legal Counsel, EMEA
Founded in August 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover and book unique accommodations from around the world - online or from a mobile phone or tablet. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 65,000 cities and 191 countries. And with world-class customer service and a growing number of users, Airbnb is the easiest way for people to monetize their extra space and showcase it to an audience of millions. No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Together, we work hard, we laugh a lot, we brainstorm nonstop, and are passionate about the company and our values.
We are looking for a bright, talented lawyer who is passionate about Airbnb and travel. You will help support the growth of Airbnb’s new initiatives in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, with a focus on commercial work and the recently launched Experiences platform. We would love to work with someone who can demonstrate excellent judgment in balancing legal risk with business strategy, and who has a proven ability to get up to speed quickly, learn new areas of law, and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment. We are looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative colleague who can handle ambiguity, fast pace, and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience and poise. Also, we are looking for someone who is a genuine team player: we are a close-knit team of people with diverse backgrounds and interests, united by our passion for Airbnb and our support and respect for each other.
- Draft and negotiate a wide range commercial agreements, including marketing and business development partnerships and marketing projects, working as a trusted partner to the marketing and business development teams
- Conduct legal research to support Airbnb’s new offerings and to help develop a legal strategy for Airbnb’s growth.
- Instruct outside counsel in a wide range of jurisdictions and supervise the provision of business-orientated legal advice.
- Advise the public policy team on regulatory matters and in particular on tourism laws and e-commerce laws.
- Advise marketing, local operations, customer support, and product teams on a broad range of compliance issues.
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Effectively collaborate with the teams in San Francisco, Asia Pacific and the rest of EMEA to provide globally aligned legal advice.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, and high-tech laws to ensure an ongoing ability to provide excellent legal advice.
- 3-6 years of relevant experience in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department.
- Proven track record of quickly learning new areas of law and providing pragmatic risk-based advice.
- Highly collaborative person who supports their colleagues, who champions our mission and wants to win as a team.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Fluency in one or two other European languages is desirable but not essential
- A high potential candidate combining integrity with a proven ability to function independently while exercising good judgment on when to seek guidance/escalate.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently deliver outstanding, thoughtful, customer-focused results in a fast-paced environment.
- A self-starting, proactive, driven, adaptable person who can prioritize, advise on and manage multiple projects whilst coping with shifting priorities and legal developments.
- Sound and practical business acumen, willingness to learn about new technologies, a sense of humour, adventure, and fun.
- Experience working within a global legal team would be a significant plus.
***We would ask that you kindly submit your application in English***
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top