Full Stack Engineer, Payments
The Platform Team
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs
What is Payments at Airbnb?
Payments is key for any healthy marketplace, and is just as central to our product at Airbnb. The Payments team at Airbnb provides the financial engine to facilitate payments for all products on Airbnb. We’re a fast-growing team that has a 50+ billion dollar global footprint: We have as much volume as Venmo, 3x more currencies than PayPal, and 7x more countries supported than Stripe.
If you were to join, you’ll have the opportunity to build out our Payments Platform that touches all the main lines of the Airbnb’s businesses, from our core Homes business to our newer Experiences and Plus businesses. We’re responsible for the whole stack from deeper services processing payments to building out the payments experiences the user sees. You’ll have the opportunity to work on very technically challenging work, as you balance moving fast with the robustness and quality that working on payments demands.
We’re looking for talented engineers who are interested in building our Payments Platform that provides for our existing and future businesses. We’re open to experienced Payments engineers as well as engineers who don’t have experience but are interested in learning more. Come join us if you want to be challenged and learn the business and skills that working on payments offers!
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
What is a Full Stack Software Engineer on Payments at Airbnb?
A Full Stack engineer on Payments has the opportunity to learn the entire Payments stack from the frontend user experience down to our core backend services that manage the billing and payment functionality. You’ll be part of small team and work with other engineers to implement payments functionality that we haven’t built yet.
Your day and responsibilities could look like any of the following examples:
- You work with two to three other engineers to build out a new payments feature such as group payments. You strategize and prioritize work with your PM and tech lead to extend the API endpoints of a new Java service another team member is building and connect it to the user experience you built in React.
- You notice that our checkout service speed has been degrading the past few months. You profile both the frontend and backend to understand the bottlenecks and tune the performance of some callback functions in a Rails app that are called during checkout. You create an A/B test to monitor key business metrics to assess your performance improvements.
- You lean slightly backend, so you’re implementing a new service that manages our payout functionality to our hosts. You read the product spec and consult with your PM to understand the requirements, and create a technical design document you get feedback on from teammates. You then implement the new Java service and make sure to include new integration tests and monitoring to ensure quality.
Some Upcoming Projects:
- We standardized and built Quick Pay, an extensible checkout page for all products on Airbnb. We created a new toolbox of payments components in React that Airbnb developers use all over our website, all built on top of our new Java services. We’ve completed foundational work, and are now prepared to launch new features and experiments on top of it, which will directly impact key business metrics and strategic initiatives.
- Hosts rely on Airbnb not only to facilitate payments, but also help them understand the businesses they are running. We’re looking to build out and provide data, tools, and financial products for our hosts to allow them to grow their businesses even more.
- Much of the work we do allows the different product lines at Airbnb to grow even more. One initiative we’re kickstarting is building out a financial incentives platform to offer customized incentives for our guests and hosts to encourage them to book even more through Airbnb, including support for variable fees, coupons, and revenue sharing.
- Airbnb is global, which means that the payments solutions our team provides must also be global. We need engineers who are excited to think about global markets and the payments solutions those markets need (such as WeChat in China or installments in Brazil). We will be building out even more payment methods to allow frictionless payment for anyone in the world.
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners.
- Independent, dedicated, and able to deliver production ready code with minimal guidance.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Offices: Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Back to top