Frontend Software Engineer, Airbnb Plus
What is Airbnb Plus?
Airbnb Plus is a new, innovative team at Airbnb transforming the company’s core business from the ground up by introducing a new global selection of homes verified for quality and comfort. We are growing our team and looking for talented engineers to join us in building the technology solutions that will help us scale Airbnb Plus to include millions of new homes. We operate at all levels of the stack: we’re responsible for the products that empower hosts to meet a higher standard of quality and design and grow their business through Airbnb and to attract a larger number of travelers to use Airbnb for the first time. The team focuses on providing a seamless end-to-end experience for our Plus hosts and guests. From high-throughput Java services, to Ruby user-facing applications, to mobile (iOS/Android) flows, to rich client-side applications using ReactJS, to data pipelines, to machine learning, we emphasize reliability, testability, quality, and solid engineering design.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Frontend at Airbnb?
Frontend Engineers are an essential part of our team. FEs work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. We rely and (and build on!) cutting edge tooling such as Apollo/GraphQL and deliver a strongly-typed UI using TypeScript. We build libraries and abstractions to make our lives easier, such as Design Language System (DLS), our front-end toolkit, which helps ensure our product looks and works great everywhere from a Cinema Display with a fiber connection down to a cheap phone with a shaky 3G connection.
- Plus HQ: We verify homes for quality, comfort, and style. The vetting process is complicated and requires much back and forth with the host. In Plus HQ projects, we are building a go-to place for our hosts to view their onboarding status, action items, next steps. This would enable us to provide them with educational content and help them throughout the process. When they become Plus hosts, they can use Plus HQ to see their performance and earnings.
- Value to hosts: We’re constantly thinking of how to surface useful information to hosts to help them understand and maximize the value of being a Plus host. This consists of personalizing content and building applications that allow us contact house through various mediums.
- Assessment tools: We’re building a world class set of tools that will enable Plus to grow 10x. Our discussions are focused around impact and doing right by our customers in the both the short term (next day) and long term (next year).
- Fix it Flow: This service is part chat, part verification, part task queue and enables Airbnb and hosts to work together to improve their home to meet Airbnb Plus standards. We’re experimenting with wild and impactful ideas, such as helping hosts up-level their homes with recommendations and cash incentives.
- Guest experience: To help users further understand the value of Plus, we need to educate them about Plus throughout our guest search experience. Over the coming quarters, we are investing significantly in our front end to showcase Plus homes. This includes introducing meaningful changes to our search, display, and booking experiences.
- 2+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Fluency in HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Drive the future of Frontend products in the industry and create world class performance for all of Airbnb’s products
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Experience Designers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
- Work with Data Scientists and Backend Engineers to build features and ship experiments
- Build efficient and reusable front-end systems and abstractions
- Find and address performance issues
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Identify and communicate front-end best practices
- Carol, one of our Plus engineering managers, was named one of the most powerful female engineers of 2018 by Business Insider.
- Rearchitecting Airbnb’s Frontend
- TechTalk: GraphQL and Appollo at Airbnb
- Operationalizing Node.js for Server Side Rendering
- Reconciling GraphQL and Thrift at Airbnb
- Moving Airbnb Search to React
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Back to top