Engineering Manager, Observability
Engineering Manager, Observability at Airbnb
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Managers to lead our engineering efforts.
The Observability team has improved availability at Airbnb by providing the standardized, easy to use instrumentation and visualization tools for Airbnb engineers. The team provides services for metrics (collection, alerting, SLOs and visualization) along with consolidated logging and distributed tracing for all engineering teams at Airbnb. As engineering manager, you’ll lead a team of talented software developers that work to scale the development of services for Airbnb engineers.
The Observability team is part of our Operability organization. Airbnb is rapidly moving our infrastructure to a Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA). Our team is impactful and high-leverage: we work every day to make the entire engineering organization more productive. We’re infrastructure engineers with a human focus: customer-centric, quality driven, helpful and empathetic.
Aligned with our company mission, Belong Anywhere, we value the importance of diversity and belonging in the workplace, and that's why we commit to not discriminating on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Some examples of current infrastructure work:
- Pioneering the visualization of highly-distributed systems, such as in Kubernetes.
- Providing easy-to-understand data from many sources which allows developers to make fast, accurate decisions during site downtime.
- Building data pipelines and instrumentation libraries in support of distributed tracing, metrics, and logging.
- Ingesting data with Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kinesis and Druid.
- Integrating with third parties like Datadog.
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 5+ hands-on technical management experience.
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications.
- Services Oriented Architecture (SOA) experience with:
- Developing and operating large scale distributed systems with high availability.
- Pipeline development, including real-time streaming and data processing.
- Distributed systems, performance analysis and web infrastructure.
- Led operations for high availability production systems.
- Been actively involved in setting infrastructure roadmaps and product strategy.
- Excelled at building highly-functional, healthy, inclusive and collaborative teams.
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers.
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Back to top