Engineering Manager, Experiences
Engineering Managers, Experiences
Airbnb Experiences launched in November 2016 with the ambitious goal of taking Airbnb from an accommodations business to an end to end travel platform. Since then, the Experiences team has been growing the new product exponentially, helping our hosts build new businesses and our guests experience travel in totally new ways. We have introduced new products like restaurant reservations to connect our guests with the best local restaurants. On top of that, we have been pioneering platform level changes in Search and Itinerary to better support Airbnb’s vision of providing the entire trip to our guests. Our end mission on Experiences is to make Airbnb the only travel platform our guests will ever need. We will do this by expanding Airbnb’s product offerings and making it really easy to plan an entire trip in a single space. The Experiences Host team plays a crucial role in driving this mission.
Travel can be cold, impersonal, and difficult to plan -- Experiences will make travel magical again by immersing travelers in communities around the world and making it easy to travel authentically. Experiences are handcrafted activities designed and led by local hosts. Hosts give travelers unprecedented access and deep insights to places and passions in their city. The Experiences Host team owns the host product holistically, driving all development including host acquisition, operation tools, hosts tools, stats, insights, emails & notification channels, and host education.
We’ve already seen tremendous growth, but we are still very early in our journey. We’re looking for a collaborative and entrepreneurial engineering leader who has experience building organizations from the ground up. If you’re interested in making significant impact on our product and are passionate about empowering tens of thousands Experience hosts around the world, this team is for you.
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 4+ hands-on technical management experience
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- Retained, mentored and hired senior engineers and leaders with a track record of building productive, world-class engineering teams. Experience independently starting self-sustaining teams is a plus.
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 6+ month direction.
- Operated well in the unknown - Experiences is growing quickly and constantly faces new challenges. We’re looking for someone who is able to adapt and shift strategy quickly and is able to manage the team well in the process.
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Worked well in cross-functional teams (eng, product, design, operations)
The Experiences Host team is responsible for:
- Growing a community of hundreds of thousands of Experience hosts.
- Working closely with operations to expand Experiences launching thousands of new markets by the end of 2018.
- Empowering host entrepreneurs globally, building tools and delivering educational insights and analytics to drive host success.
- Building technical foundation to scale longer term efforts like machine learned experience taxonomy, quality standard analytics & enforcement, dynamic pricing, host dashboard suite, weekly engagement emails, and more.
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top