Employee Relations Lead
We’re looking for a leader with deep Employee Relations (ER) expertise to establish the ER Investigations team here at Airbnb. This leader will be responsible for laying the foundation for the ER team, which includes developing processes, approaches, guidelines, practices and operating procedures.
The successful candidate will establish relationships across the organization and provide ER subject matter expertise in order to support the mission, culture and values of Airbnb.
Specific responsibilities include:Strategic Planning & Leadership
- Develops an Employee Relations (ER) framework, including strategies and proposals to drive continuously improving ER practice within the organization based on trust, mutual respect, strong performance management, and accountability in support of the goals of the organization.
- Designs and implements a comprehensive communications strategy to promote ER best practices throughout the organization.
- Manages, maintains, and revises HR policies, procedures and practices to ensure compliance, enhance the workplace and promote the company culture.
- Assesses employment risk in coordination with HR leadership and Legal based on current regulatory landscape and anticipated changes.
- Provide strong leadership and development to a team of professional Employee Relations subject matter experts worldwide
- Takes the lead in addressing employee issues, complaints, and investigations working in partnership with other Human Resources, Legal, and other compliance related teams.
- Ensures cases are handled fairly, consistently, transparently, in a timely fashion, and in line with Company culture, policies, and appropriate local laws.
- Provides oversight to or personally leads employee relations investigations, making recommendations on appropriate courses of action, matching investigation strategy to the complexity, risk, sensitivity, and confidentiality of the investigation
- Counsels HR and business leaders on ER issues, trends and risks to foster sound business decisions.
- Review and refresh training offerings depending on company needs and external regulations.
- Advises HR leaders on how to handle more serious and complex disciplinary matters.
- Handle and advise on a caseload of complex ER investigations matters, such as: Agency complaints, retaliation, harassment, discrimination
- Develop, socialize and rollout ER processes, approaches, guidelines, practices and operating procedures
- Ensure that optimal decisions are made by leaders, Talent Partners and other stakeholders through influencing, coaching, and by providing technical expertise and sound strategy
- Drive ER efforts that support HR and business initiatives
- Develop and conduct training to leaders, managers, employees, Talent Partners and other stakeholders
- Maintain an organized case management system; Ability to run analytics and metrics and produce dashboards
- Collect, analyze, interpret and make recommendations on ER related data
- Set and execute against the ER strategy
- Hire and manage ER team members
- Bachelor’s degree with preference for JD, MBA or other Advanced Degree
- 12+ years of Employee Relations/Human Resources managing complex global investigations
- Superior written oral communication skills
- Must be organized
- Ability to remain positive, collaborative and objective while under pressure
- Proven track record of positively influencing leaders, teams and stakeholders
- Ability to be a coach, mentor, advise and partner with stakeholders at varying levels of seniority
- Experience as an effective people manager
- Expert knowledge of ER, labor relations, training, conflict resolution and direct experience leading complex global investigations at all levels including executive level
- Deep understanding of FMLA, EEO laws, ADA and other employment-related state and federal laws & regulations
- Must be able to work under pressure and deal with complex issues, while maintaining composure
- Experienced decision maker who uses good reasoning and sound judgment required
- Ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality is required
- Must be self-motivated and have an enhanced ability to prioritize/plan in a fast-paced, high growth environment
- Some travel may be required
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top