Director, Strategic Projects for Public Affairs
Founded in August of 2008, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb helps people Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, with more than 3 million listings in 65,000 cities in more than 190 countries. Nearly 2 million guests stayed at Airbnb listings this past New Year’s Eve and more than 200 million guests have arrived at our listings since 2008. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
On the Public Affairs team, we are responsible for telling Airbnb’s public policy story worldwide—a story of democratized travel through which more people experience and enjoy tourism, democratized revenue from which governments see more funding for critical services and new programs, and democratized capitalism through which anyone can leverage their greatest expense, their home, to help make ends meet. We lead the communications strategy and act as the company’s voice on a range of topics including government regulation, taxes and legal matters. We're a high-energy team with a passion for people, places, cutting-edge policymaking, and great stories. If you'd like to belong to one of the world's greatest teams, come tell us your story.
We are hiring a Director of Strategic Projects in Airbnb’s global communications and public affairs team to lead bold proactive communications initiatives from start to finish. You have the ability to prioritize and communicate decisions quickly and effectively across broad teams. You are able to achieve consensus across multiple stakeholders with various interests.
You have extensive experience developing and driving multiple immediate, mid- and long-range initiatives simultaneously. You are comfortable and confident working directly with executives, global partners, and journalists. You think and plan strategically while also executing tactically. We’re looking for an effective and creative communicator who has the ability to explain complex ideas in clear, compelling, innovative ways.
This will be a permanent position based in San Francisco.
- Manage national and global one-off and ongoing strategic communications initiatives from concept to design to execution that communicate Airbnb’s mission and plans.
- Spearhead cross-functional working groups across the Policy & Communications department and beyond, including (among others): public affairs, executive communications, PR communications, strategic partnerships and federal affairs, research, digital, and marketing and product.
- Drive creation of projects that will generate media interest and highlight a range of issues such as diversity and belonging, economic empowerment, sustainability, and social good while coordinating with partners and key groups.
- Ensure that all aspects of each initiative, including messaging and design, are aligned with Airbnb’s values and brand.
- Define and build in measures for reaching the goals, key stakeholders and target audiences for every initiative.
- Create content for briefings, speeches, blogs, presentations and other communications materials for Airbnb leadership.
- Build and manage a team to execute these strategic communications initiatives.
- 12+ years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated senior leadership experience designing and executing a strategic communications plans in a large, complex organization with varied priorities
- Experience in managing projects in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with domestic and international media markets
- Excellent writing and visual presentation skills, with samples to share
- Experience managing internal teams and external partners
- Maintaining enthusiasm and calm demeanor in even the most stressful situations
- Ability to work with international teams and quickly develop an understanding for the cultural differences
- Passion for Airbnb and the mission of the company
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top