Data Scientist, Intern 2019 - Inference
In order to be considered for this internship, you must be graduating from an advanced degree program in Winter of 2019 or Spring/Summer of 2020. Please submit only one application to your preferred data science track. If you have an interest in multiple tracks or locations, please advise your recruiter once contact has been made.
Airbnb’s mission is to connect people to unique travel experiences, in more than 34,000 cities and 190 Countries. We are making it possible for hosts to supplement their income while helping visitors from around the world experience neighborhoods and communities outside traditional tourist zones.
Here at Airbnb, we’re big fans of travel. We love thinking about the diversity of experiences our host community offers, and we spend a fair amount of time trying to make sense of the tens of thousands of cities where people are booking trips every night. The tricky thing is, most of us haven’t been to Cuba, so we try to come up with creative ways to help people find the experience they’re looking for in places they may have never been. The data science team works in tandem with product management, engineering, and design teams to solve for things like this.
Our inference data scientists are deep in understanding the complications of running experiments in a two-sided marketplace, power analysis and stopping criterions, and statistical models to improve power/significance. Another interesting problem space is understanding what to do when we are unable to conduct experiments. How do we understand the impact of something new?
We are looking for Data Scientist intern to join our team and expand upon the work we have done. Here are some examples of projects we currently need help with:
- Develop experiments to reduce friction in the listing creation process for hosts
- Designing experiments to measure the lift when displaying hotel rooms on our platform
- Create product experiments (on service fees, early demand, etc) and measure the impact on market dynamics (such as competitors).
- Improve the statistical methodology behind our experimentation platform to ensure that our understanding of product changes is rigorous and accurate
Skills and Qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a PhD or MS in CS, Math, Statistics, Physics, Economics or other quantitative field.
- Preferred fields of study are statistics, math, economics, or related discipline.
- Tools: Experience using R, Python, and/or SQL.
- Product sense: Ability to connect your analysis to real world phenomena, always thinking about how insights from the data can be used to improve Airbnb.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to distill and share complex technical concepts to a less technical audience.
- Competitive pay, a generous housing bonus, and Paid Time Off
- Quarterly employee travel coupons so you can explore Airbnb’s incredible listings
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner inspired by the local cuisine of listings from around the world
- Company-sponsored tech talks and social events
- Much more…
To learn more, read about our Inference data science work:
Back to top