Data Scientist - Analytics, Experiences (Los Angeles)
Airbnb Experiences are handcrafted activities designed and led by local experts. They go beyond typical tours or classes by immersing guests in each host’s unique world. It’s an opportunity for anyone to share their hobbies, skills, or expertise without needing an extra room. Experience hosts give travelers unprecedented access and deep insights to places and passions in their city.
We launched Experiences in November 2016 with the ambitious goal of taking Airbnb from an accommodations business to an end to end travel platform. Since then, the Experiences team has been growing the new product exponentially, helping our hosts build new businesses and our guests experience travel in completely new ways. In the past year, we’ve seen a wide variety of Experiences succeed, everything from cooking in the Tuscany Countryside to flying a plane over Los Angeles to a Wolf Encounter.
To further improve the level of access Experiences provides, we’re hoping to invest deeply in new categories of Experiences like Concerts and Social Impact that may be difficult to incubate organically on their own. As part of the Category Expansion team, you’ll have the opportunity to influence the business, by creatively exploring the data to inform what we do differently for each category. We think of data as the voice of the user at scale. You’ll be that translator. And because each Category is unique, you’ll be responsible for understanding what works differently for each Category and recommend business & product strategy.
- Define and evaluate key metrics and underlying drivers for Experiences business
- Translate complex findings and results into a compelling narrative
- Investigate questions around user experience to understand the voice of our users
- Own concepts, development and maintenance of dashboards and visualizations
- Communicate analyses and recommendations to cross functional stakeholders for decision making
- Strategize on making analyses easily repeatable and accessible
Qualities we value:
- Professional industry experience in a quantitative analysis role (4+ years preferred)
- Comfortable in SQL and experience with a programming language; Python or R is a plus
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional partners of varying technical levels
- Ability to define relevant metrics that can guide and influence stakeholders to the appropriate and accurate insights
- Experience or willingness to learn tools to create data pipelines using Airflow
- Build clear and easy to understand dashboards (Tableau) and presentations
- Ability to model and run experiments is a plus
We have a strong team of data scientists, our work is highly sought-after, and our impact on the business is tremendous. If you have a proven background in this field and are excited to help build Airbnb’s community, we want to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
Back to top