Data Science Manager - China Growth
Airbnb is a global platform that connects travelers and hosts from over 34,000 cities. As such, it has collected a diverse set of numerical, audio, visual, and structured and unstructured textual data, which our Data Science team mines for insights that will propel our community and product forward.
We’re seeking a proven data analytics leader who will direct our data science efforts in China. China is the world’s largest, and fastest growing outbound travel market. At Airbnb, we want to help the new audience of Chinese travelers explore the world through our local experiences, personable hosts, and unique accommodations. We’re looking at how we localize our product for China to succeed in the unique China ecosystem. Your team will consist of statisticians, analytics specialists, machine learning experts, all combining skills in data analysis and products to enable the company in China.
In China, international travel spend is already greater than the US and growing much more quickly. Airbnb views China as a highly strategic market, and believes that the travel network we have built globally in years has best positioned us to provide Chinese guests with unique travel experiences and help them belong anywhere. The hugely different cultural expectations and internet environment (e.g., no facebook/google sign up), combined with the strategic importance, have led to the investment of a dedicated China team. The team builds products that deeply integrate with local norms (e.g., allow WeChat sign in / sharing, payment with Alipay, etc.) and culturally make sense to Chinese users (e.g., redesign China specific product flows to better serve Chinese users) in order to accelerate our growth rate in China and get the compounding growth effect as large as possible, as soon as possible.
This is an extremely impactful role working with senior executives to develop a data-informed strategy at a hypergrowth company.
- Speaks fluent Chinese and English
- You will be based in Beijing and with some travel to San Francisco
- Minimum of 2+ years management experience, 7+ years in industry
- Strong team builder, demonstrates ability to recruit top talent
- Ph.D. in quantitative field such as Economics/Econometrics, Math, Statistics, Engineering, or Computer Science, or equivalent statistical expertise as would be gained in such a program
- Comfort leveraging common analysis tools such as SQL, R, and Python
- Ability to work at multiple levels - from developing strategy with executives to commenting on R or Python code
- Strong record of impactful change through data analysis and data products
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top