Data Science Lead - Customer Experience
Airbnb has become a global platform that connects travelers and hosts from over 34,000 cities. As such, it has a team of over a thousand customer support agents around the world that help ensure a quality user experience both online and offline. In addition, we have a fully built out help center online, and processes to resolve issues online. To automate and optimize the tools and workflow of these agents and to improve the overall experience of our customers when they need help, the Data Science team is tasked with developing state of the art NLP data products and novel experimentation methods, in addition to guiding decisions around metrics and tracking. Data science is a strategic thought partner for understanding what is happening, what will happen, and how to use data within products.
As the Data Science Lead for Customer Experience, you’ll have the potential for massive impact on Airbnb’s profitability and will work directly with our CFO. You will collaborate with a strong team of engineers and product managers and leverage Airbnb’s rich data and state-of-art machine learning infrastructure. In this role, you will manage a team of data scientists and analysts across San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle to work on these example challenges:
- Experimentation to determine which routing algorithm optimizes speed of agent response by issue urgency
- Optimize the Help center with better metrics and improved product.
- Building machine learning models to optimize the routing of tickets via different channels e.g. phone, chat, email, community board
- Build recommendation engine to suggest automated responses on chat and email
- Build statistical models to optimize the number of agents required at any given time on any particular channel with any particular training
- Advise business leaders on how to balance growing the team of agents with investing in deep learning, machine learning, artificial intelligence
We have an incredible team of Data Scientists, our work is highly sought-after, and our impact on the business is tremendous. If you have a proven background in this field and are excited to help build Airbnb’s community, we want to hear from you.
Some examples of traits we value:
- 10+ years in industry preferred, this is a senior leadership role
- 5+ years of mentorship and management experience
- PhD or equivalent work experience to develop expertise in a quantitative field
- Ability to recognize clean and concise code, especially in SQL and R/Python, and to write it with some extra time to brush up on skills
- Strong understanding of statistics and machine learning
- Keen eye for detail and thoughtful investigation of data before relying upon it
- Intuition for data science best practices, stemming from proven experience
- Experience partnering with a large people operations team is a plus
- Steadfast focus on creating impactful change
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top