Counsel, Production & Content
Role & Responsibilities
Legal Counsel - Production & Content
Airbnb is seeking an exceptional, business-oriented and pragmatic attorney with deep expertise in end-to-end product marketing, brand campaigns, creative production, content creation and related commercial transactions to join our growing legal team. This is a truly unique opportunity to assist in globally supporting Airbnb’s award-winning Marketing team and the in-house Airbnb Creative team in developing, producing and distributing some of the most cutting-edge marketing campaigns, creative materials and first-in-class content. The Production & Content Counsel will report to Airbnb’s Lead Counsel - IP & Marketing in San Francisco.
- Act as primary lead for creative content review for marketing initiatives across business units, including developing scalable and efficient content review models, education materials and self-help tools to enable speedy production and content development while also minimizing risk exposure
- Act as primary legal lead for the Central Creative Studio, including developing, implementing and overseeing production commercial workflows, consulting on legal considerations arising from in-house production projects, negotiating strategic MSAs, SOWs, rate sheets and related commercial transactions with key production partners, provide legal oversight to Business Affairs Lead and own legal sign-off on day-to-day production deal negotiations handled by Business Affairs Lead and Project Producer, liaise with Business Affairs Lead, Insurance and Procurement teams and finance, as necessary, on production insurance needs for in-house productions, lead content rights and talent negotiations and produce contract templates and archival processes to increase production and finance efficiencies
- Serve as primary legal liaison with the Creative Business Affairs Lead in ensuring all production-related business affairs needs are seamlessly managed, including review of creative, vendor management, managing talent, location and materials releases, and consult on IP and other legal compliance issues
- Assist Lead Counsel and broader IP & Marketing team on supporting more complex production and content matters
- Partner with Product teams, the Art Department, Marketing, PR/Comms, Public Affairs, Policy and cross-functional legal teams across the globe to drive, develop and ensure compliance with applicable global and regional legal requirements and controls related to production, IP and marketing/advertising laws as well as short-term rental regulations
- Help support remaining cross-functional commercial transactions enabling Airbnb’s internal marketing/advertising functions
- Create and deliver marketing and advertising law, IP rights clearance, and production contracting training for business and legal teams worldwide
- Actively participate in cross-functional product and campaign development meetings in order contextualize and provide pragmatic counseling on marketing/advertising campaigns, production and associated content and commercial transactions
- Ensure global consistency on business advice and compliance guidance with marketing and advertising regulations and laws across broad cross-functional stakeholders and regional legal teams
- Stay apprised of developments in legal and regulatory developments affecting Airbnb’s marketing, advertising, production and creative content creation activities
- Assist with litigation, disputes and regulatory investigations that may arise in connection with the company’s marketing, advertising, production and creative content creation activities
Candidates should have a strong attention to detail, be execution oriented, thrive in fast-paced, high-intensity environments, have strong business acumen, superior analytical and writing skills, and should be enthusiastic, well organized and team focused. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a good sense of humor are essential.
- JD and a minimum of six (6) years of marketing/advertising counseling, production support and content clearance (with a strong preference for relevant in-house experience with leading global technology company/ies and/or advertising agency)
- Member of the California Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as California Registered In-House Counsel
- A strong working knowledge of the Airbnb platform, evolving product lines, marketing content and competitive landscape
- Knowledge of and experience applying regulations and industry guidelines (including FTC, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, TCPA) and self-regulatory standards to mobile, native and social media· marketing as well as to more conventional marketing and advertising methods, including television, offers, sweepstakes and promotions, claims, sponsorships, press releases and other press activities.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver timely, effective and strategic legal advice that is current with the evolving legal and regulatory expectations
- Established ability to independently manage medium to high complexity matters, including issues of first impression
- Experience advising clients on IP rights clearance, production and creative content
- Skilled at contributing to strategic business conversations, key business priorities and revenue goals and integrating these into ongoing issue spotting and risk assessments on marketing, advertising, production and creative content creation activities
- Able to create and deliver engaging educational programs related to marketing and advertising compliance, production and content creation and related legal areas
- Demonstrated ability to perform beyond expectations in a fast-paced high growth environment, including the ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize.
- Familiarity with CDA 230, DMCA, E-Commerce Directive and other regulations related to internet platforms preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity and willingness to grow.
- Highly developed sense of humor a must
Back to top