Counsel, Marketing and Advertising
Airbnb is seeking an exceptional Marketing & Advertising Counsel to join our growing legal team. This is a truly unique opportunity to assist in globally supporting Airbnb’s award-winning Superbrand Marketing and PR/Communications organizations in developing, producing and distributing some of the most cutting-edge marketing campaigns, promotional contests and first-in-class content. The Marketing & Advertising Counsel will report to Airbnb’s Senior IP & Marketing Counsel in San Francisco.
- Review marketing and advertising campaigns/content from concept to execution and provide legal assessments relative to applicable laws and regulations and risk assessment and real-time or near real-time problem solving
- Partner with Superbrand Marketing, PR/Comms, Public Policy and legal teams across the globe to drive, develop and ensure compliance with applicable global and regional legal requirements and controls related to IP and marketing/advertising laws as well as short-term rental regulations
- Create and deliver marketing and advertising law compliance training for teams worldwide
- Stay apprised of developments in legal and regulatory developments affecting Airbnb’s marketing, advertising and PR/comms activities
- Partner with members of the legal and customer experience teams to protect Airbnb’s IP rights and platform integrity through evolving Marketing & IP guidelines and cross-functional processes
- Assist with litigation, disputes and regulatory investigations that may arise in connection with Airbnb’s marketing, advertising, and PR/comms activities
- Assist with trademark prosecution and IP enforcement, as necessary
Candidates should have a strong attention to detail, be execution oriented, thrive in fast-paced, high-intensity environments, have strong business acumen, superior analytical and writing skills, and should be enthusiastic, well organized and team focused. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a good sense of humor are essential.
- JD and a minimum of five (5) years of marketing/advertising counseling (with a strong preference for relevant in-house experience with a leading global technology company)
- Member of the California Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as California Registered In-House Counsel
- Knowledge of and experience applying regulations and industry guidelines (including FTC, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, TCPA) and self-regulatory standards to mobile, native and social media marketing as well as to more conventional marketing and advertising methods, including television, offers, promotions, sweepstakes and promotion, claims, sponsorships, press releases and other press activities.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver timely, effective and strategic legal advice that is current with the evolving legal and regulatory expectations
- Established ability to independently manage medium to high complexity matters, including issues of first impression
- Experience advising clients on claim substantiation, direct marketing, trademark, copyright and other IP protections in advertising
- Experience with celebrity and influencer endorsements on social media and internet advertising strongly preferred.
- Skilled at contributing to strategic business conversations, key business priorities and revenue goals and integrating these into ongoing issue spotting and risk assessments on marketing, advertising and PR/comms initiatives
- Able to create and deliver engaging educational programs related to marketing and advertising compliance
- Demonstrated ability to perform beyond expectations in a fast-paced high growth environment, including the ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize.
- Familiarity with CDA 230, DMCA, E-Commerce Directive strongly preferred
- Experience with international trademark clearance, trademark prosecution and/or IP litigation/enforcement strongly preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of integrity and professionalism and willingness to grow.
- Highly developed sense of humor.
Back to top