Founded in August 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover and book unique accommodations from around the world - online or from a mobile phone or tablet. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and 191 countries. And with world-class customer service and a growing number of users, Airbnb is the easiest way for people to monetize their extra space and showcase it to an audience of millions. No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Together, we work hard, we laugh a lot, we brainstorm nonstop, and are passionate about the company and our values.
Are you known for your approachability and reliable, practical employment law advice? Are you a natural collaborator? Do you long to make a positive and impactful contribution in a mission-driven, travel-obsessed culture? Would you like to join a talented, fun, collaborative team of legal professionals who don’t take themselves too seriously? If you said “yes, Yes, YES” check out Airbnb’s growing, fun and fast-paced legal department! We are looking for a self-motivated, adaptable, confident teammate to accurately assess and manage employment law risk, get out ahead of potential problems, offer practical, creative solutions, and drive projects.
As one of two employment lawyers, you will have broad responsibility, and the opportunity to grow rapidly, while leading business-critical projects. .
- Provide effective, business-focused, day-to-day advice to business partners at all levels of the organization on a broad range of employment issues, including recruiting, hiring, compensation & benefits, wage & hour, immigration, health & safety, compliance, performance management, restructuring, terminations, restrictive covenants, and mergers & acquisitions
- Resolve employee disputes, conduct internal investigations, and manage audits
- Stay abreast of, and advise the company on the implications of, evolving legal developments
- Partner in the management of Airbnb’s employment law compliance agenda, including developing and implementing the Company employment policies and practices
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners on programs, tools and systems, while balancing legal risk and business impact
- Manage employment-related litigation
- Support Airbnb’s commitment to building and maintaining a diverse, discrimination- and harassment-free workplace
Required Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- You must lead with humility and empathy.
- You must have high standards, impeccable integrity and ethics, good judgment, well-honed organizational and analytical skills, strong oral and written communications skills, and a keen sense of humor.
- You must be intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
- You must inspire trust, forge relationships quickly, and earn the confidence and cooperation of your business partners.
- You must have an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to take ownership of your areas of responsibility.
- You must be able to work both collaboratively and autonomously, and prioritize multiple competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- You must be adept at and comfortable making complex cost/benefit assessments.
- J.D. admission in good standing to the California Bar
- 6+ years of employment law experience at a law firm and/or in-house corporate environment
- Direct client counseling experience
- Broad substantive knowledge, including investigations, accommodations, wage and hour, and employment discrimination
- Employment litigation experience preferred
- Familiarity with cross-border employment law and global mobility issues is a plus
- Prior in-house experience within a technology is a plus
- Ability to work cooperatively and professionally with coworkers and cross-functional business partners
- Ability to work on a computer for long periods of time
- Ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the organization
- Ability to be physically present at the company’s San Francisco office during normal business hours
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply. Airbnb provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities to ensure they have full access to equal employment opportunities.
Meet Some of Airbnb's Employees
Front-End Engineer & Designer
From designing features to executing front-end tech, Amy makes sure the Airbnb user experience is smooth and seamless—and enjoyable.
Back to top