Chief Compliance Officer/Money Laundering Reporting Officer
At Airbnb the Payments Compliance Team maintains a global regulatory compliance program that supports 191 countries, 70 currencies, connects dozens of payment providers and banks, and processes multiple billions of dollars. The Compliance team is tasked with protecting the payments that run through our payments infrastructure by building controls into our products, investigating unusual activities, filing regulatory reports with relevant regulatory agencies and carrying out economic sanctions screening. In this role you would oversee policy and ensure that day-to-day compliance operational activities are maintained to the department’s high internal standards, you will interact with our regulatory agencies and participate in regulatory examinations.
The Airbnb Compliance team is building a scalable Compliance foundation to support regulatory compliance on a global scale, the team helps the company grow by ensuring that the payments product can continue to grow in a safe and compliant fashion.
Who We’re Looking For
First and foremost, we’re looking for people who know and use Airbnb and believe in what we’re trying to accomplish. Airbnb is a marketplace that connects guests and hosts but provides the level of trust needed to enable each transaction. Payments Compliance is central to creating that trust, which is why Payments Compliance is a core and strategic part of Airbnb.
The Compliance Officer for Europe will help us continue to build our compliance program for European markets and beyond. In collaboration with Compliance leadership, you will define the strategy for Compliance, ensuring we’re able to protect and grow our community with best in class payments. You’ll work with a cross functional team of engineers, data scientists, compliance operations, and legal to develop the core of our compliance program, to ensure the safety of the payments that flow through Airbnb. If this sounds like an interesting challenge to you, we’d love to meet!
- 7-10 years Compliance management experience in dynamic and fast-paced transactional environments. Preference given to candidates who have managed payments, banking, law enforcement/government, or e-commerce compliance
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or the ability to identify anti-money laundering and economic sanctions typologies related to the payments and e-commerce space
- Extensive experience representing and leading Compliance in meetings with regulatory agencies, examiners and auditors
- Prior management responsibility for compliance operational activities working with European regulatory requirements, ability to manage to meet regulatory requirements, specified service level agreements and key performance indicators
- Understand the needs of our customers both internal and external, ability to grow a Compliance program by continuously building and iterating
- Ability to create partnerships both inside and outside of the Compliance organization
- Exceptional decision making skills: given limited resources, how do you prioritize across needs?
- Thrives in a startup environment: loves dealing with fast pace, changing needs, and limited resources.
- Prior experience leading compliance programs focused on AML, KYC, Sanctions and other relevant Compliance requirements. Fintech experience strongly preferred, experience collaborating with external partners and auditors
- Professional certification in compliance risk management
- Growth mindset: effectively balances the need to protect the community with the need to grow the community
- Global perspective: experience with global payment programs and global teams
- Operations: experience working with operations teams, making smart investments in tools and workflow processes to scale up the team
- Scale: knows how to start small but build big
- Ability to lead a team and motivate people to excel under pressure
- An extremely high level of personal integrity and discipline
- Strong communication, critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
Back to top